Dual CS505/1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just seen the empty box for one in Control's flat in the new film of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy . I have one but I did not think they were around in the mid seventies when the film is set. I think it undermined the cedibility of the whole film.

RMutt said:
Just seen the empty box for one in Control's flat in the new film of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy . I have one but I did not think they were around in the mid seventies when the film is set. I think it undermined the cedibility of the whole film.

OK, shoot the props guy!
The film was good - well spotted though.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
RMutt said:

For goodness sake don't watch any more 'period' movies then! The film spans late 1973 into 1974 and the CS-505 was around from 1978 I think. However, Dual had made previous - and very similar - turntables at least as far back as the relevant period.

I saw an A&R Cambridge A60/T21 combo (black veneer) in a record shop in 'Life On Mars' (set in 1973 and a few years too early for A60s.)

I saw a Revox B77 in 'Bank Job' which was - again - a few years too early and should have been an A77. (Actually the real 'radio ham' used a cheap cassette recorder to tape the bank robber's walkie talkie dialogue.)

'West Wing' is full of inaccuracies (one occurs in the opening moments of the very first episode) but I love the series anyway.

Pick a period film (any) and some 'expert' (on cars, audio, fashions, art, retail, road furniture, accents, mannerisms...etc.) will find mistakes.

Unless the errors are gross (Nokia ringtone faintly heard in a mediaeval banquet scene) then I don't really worry too much.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Personally, I think we have a better class of nutter on this site.....long may it continue.

Chebby, I think it's commendable that you can produce such a list without effort!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
CnoEvil said:
You might be right. I think the Dual was introduced in 1982, but could be wrong.

About 1977-78 for the original CS-505 according to a 1987 Gramophone article thats refers to it's 10 years in production.

My info came from HFW.....could easily be wrong, so cheers for the info. My personal memory (dodgy at best) is that it was about in the late 70s.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
My info came from HFW.....could easily be wrong, so cheers for the info. My personal memory (dodgy at best) is that it was about in the late 70s.

One was certainly on the same shelf (in Rediffusion) as the Sansui SR222-MkII in late 1979 when I bought the Sansui. (Along with a NAD 3020 and some Celestion County speakers.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
One was certainly on the same shelf (in Rediffusion) as the Sansui SR222-MkII in late 1979 when I bought the Sansui. (Along with a NAD 3020 and some Celestion County speakers.)

Mrs Cno says I'm old and sad........despite me telling her that I'm a knowledgeable veteran!

Like those speakers btw.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts