DT770 v K550 redux

gvolly

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Looking for a little advice here...

I live where high end audio stores are few and far between. I have listened to whatever I could find and so far what I liked the best are the AKG K550s. I've read reviews until my eyes bleed and what I realize is that the only thing that matters is what I like (I listened to highly rated headphones that I didn't like at all...)(I've demo'd some B&W, Grado [loved the 325s but they are open backed...] and other AKGs and some Sennheisers)

So, I like the K550s. I have read good things about the Beyerdynamic DT770s, but I'm not aware of any for sale that I can demo where I am. B&H has them right now for $165...

So, can anybody tell me that if I like the K550s I'll like the DT770s? or the opposite? If they are comparable I'll save some money, if not I'll either go with the 550s or keep looking.

(I want/need closed back Headphones, I'd primarily use them with a FiiO X3, I'd go with the 250 ohm version, would be ok with adding an amp...)

Thanks for any help.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
gvolly said:
Looking for a little advice here...I live where high end audio stores are few and far between. I have listened to whatever I could find and so far what I liked the best are the AKG K550s. I've read reviews until my eyes bleed and what I realize is that the only thing that matters is what I like (I listened to highly rated headphones that I didn't like at all...)(I've demo'd some B&W, Grado [loved the 325s but they are open backed...] and other AKGs and some Sennheisers). So, I like the K550s. I have read good things about the Beyerdynamic DT770s, but I'm not aware of any for sale that I can demo where I am. B&H has them right now for $165...So, can anybody tell me that if I like the K550s I'll like the DT770s? or the opposite? If they are comparable I'll save some money, if not I'll either go with the 550s or keep looking. (I want/need closed back Headphones, I'd primarily use them with a FiiO X3, I'd go with the 250 ohm version, would be ok with adding an amp...) Thanks for any help.

The K550 is fairly neutral from what Headfonia says (the review and comments are very informative), but I've had the DT770 and they are dark with a echo-y midrange and treble peak around 9 khz. Some people think the DT770 is better (at least technically) than Beyer's Custom One Pro, but I have both and the COP is far better balanced and a much more musical headphone. I say this only if you're interested in a Beyer that's about the same size and fit as the DT770, but better. But if you can get a good fit with the K550, I hear it's great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts