Dragonfly v1.2

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've decided to try one for my laptop.

I actually really like the output from my HP for both Spotify Premium and FLAC's from MusicBee. -

I can do this without risk as I can return it so its not a biggie but do any of you have experience with the DF or any similar priced DAC/Headphone amp? - I also have heard AQ have some new products in the pipe line, does that include a new version of the Dragonfly?

What can I expect?

Thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What you can expect varies from laptop to laptop. Not the sound of the DF, but how it sounds in comparison to your laptop's built in audio card. My Toshiba P300 (RIP) was bl--dy awful. So much digital noise (whirring and chirping during quiet passages) and the sound was unexciting and bland. Any external DAC sounded amazing compared to that. My iMac and Mac Mini however...not so much different to an external DAC. I still use my Mac Mini connected to my HRT Streamer II+ (£300 not too long ago so not cheap) but the difference is by no means night and day. I'm not even sure I could pass an ABX test a statistically-relevant number of times.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
I've decided to try one for my laptop.

I actually really like the output from my HP for both Spotify Premium and FLAC's from MusicBee. -

I can do this without risk as I can return it so its not a biggie but do any of you have experience with the DF or any similar priced DAC/Headphone amp? - I also have heard AQ have some new products in the pipe line, does that include a new version of the Dragonfly?

What can I expect? Thanks

It's a very economical upgrade, highly recommended. The only similar product from AQ is the new Beetle, but I think that's for optical inputs/outputs. I'm getting an AQ JitterBug tomorrow, but that's just a USB "filter".

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No problem DM...have you made a decision on whether to go for it or not? Would be interesting to hear your view. I do feel though that whether you're completely blown away by it or indifferent will depend hugely on the quality of the DAC you're currently using, and with DACs in computers, it's such a mixed bag.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
No problem DM...have you made a decision on whether to go for it or not? Would be interesting to hear your view. I do feel though that whether you're completely blown away by it or indifferent will depend hugely on the quality of the DAC you're currently using, and with DACs in computers, it's such a mixed bag.

Although the Dragonfly's DAC will replace the computer DAC, the amp** will make the biggest difference.

**The mini-DACs like Dragonfly aren't amps in the normal sense, they're just DACs that have enough output from their analog conversion to drive most headphones. If the mini-DAC doesn't have a physical volume control (most don't), then their internal software does a "repurpose" of the computer's system volume, so you can control the volume losslessly from the computer. Setting volume on the music player may or may not degrade the sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I have been using the DF 1.2 for a couple of days now. Whilst the difference isn't night and day its sufficient to make the purchase more than worthwile!

Sound is smooth but at the same time dynamic. The biggest difference to my laptop output is more focus and space around instruments and voices plus no clicks or similar from interference.

Next I'll order Audioquests Jitter Bug :)

Impressed.

On another note, I continue to really like the Grado's. The quality I appreciate most is dynamics, both grand and micro. - It just effortlessly goes from very quiet/subtle to full-on if the music requires it. It reminds me of a good valve amplifier with suitable speakers. - This applies whether I use the DF1.2 or not by the way.

It is also a lovely headphone at relatively quiet volume, still conveying a detailed wide band sound where everything is in proportion without having to crank it up.

Happy weekend all x

D

Deleted member 108165

drummerman said:
It is also a lovely headphone at relatively quiet volume, still conveying a detailed wide band sound where everything is in proportion without having to crank it up.

Happy weekend all x

I must admit since doing the pad tape-mod which you kindly directed me to I have a new found appreciation of the 225's.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Great to read your feedback DM. Thanks for posting.

drummerman said:

Suspect you can already guess my opinion on that. £40 heap of rubbish capitalising on this season's fad. But of course other opinions are available.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

drummerman said:

Suspect you can already guess my opinion on that. £40 heap of rubbish capitalising on this season's fad. But of course other opinions are available.

Not at all.

This one shows clear measured differences in hifiNews&RR. Benchtest by Paul Miller. Its not even subtle.

Measured with/without (and DF1.2)

30 % reduction in digital jitter 223psec/165psec

over 30% reduction in USB risetime 22.0msec/14.8msec

There are other improvements with a clear change to the USB eye pattern/wave form.

How much of a difference it will make in my system ... no idea but I'll post back with an honest opinion.

SteveR750

drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:

drummerman said:

Not at all.

This one shows clear measured differences in hifiNews&RR. Benchtest by Paul Miller. Its not even subtle.

There are other improvements with a clear change to the USB eye pattern/wave form.

How much of a difference it will make in my system ... no idea but I'll post back with an honest opinion.

Any update yes?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:

drummerman said:

Not at all.

Any update yes?

I don't expect a lot of activity on this because on the one hand it's a second edition of a wildly successful DAC, and OTOH there are now many, many mini-DACs on the market. After I got Dragonfly v1, I then got the Audioengine D1 and D3, then the HRT Microstreamer, others.... But now with the Dragonfly v1.2, Audioquest is back on top in my view - very clean sound. How to make it best of all? Add the JitterBug!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
drummerman said:
MajorFubar said:

drummerman said:

Not at all.

Any update yes?

Sorry, I haven't bought it yet. Had a bit of a turbulent time with bike etc. but will do so asap.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
drummerman said:
Sorry, I haven't bought it yet. Had a bit of a turbulent time with bike etc. but will do so asap.

i just posted this on the regen thread, but it also includes readings for the jitterbug.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18580-Science-Thread-Review-of-Audioquest-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners

ymmv and it you *might* get more benefit from putting that money towards the bike rather than the jitterbug.

I had a quick glance but unfortunately have to shoot off for work. I will have a better look tomorrow.

Has anyone on here got full access to PaulMillers own website and measurements? I can only see his conclusion in the magazine test but not the full test report.

Thanks for the link.

SteveR750

cheeseboy said:
drummerman said:

i just posted this on the regen thread, but it also includes readings for the jitterbug.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18580-Science-Thread-Review-of-Audioquest-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners

ymmv and it you *might* get more benefit from putting that money towards the bike rather than the jitterbug.

I'm inclined to agree, given the authors disclaimer: "As such, I personally don’t expect any high-end DAC to benefit from these products. If any do, I would question the DAC company before resorting to dangling a device like this in front of them."

I consider the £80 Cambridge audio dac xs to be sufficiently high end, so that definition would encompass the Dragonfly (though having owned both, I think the xs is better).

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
cheeseboy said:
drummerman said:

I'm inclined to agree, given the authors disclaimer: "As such, I personally don’t expect any high-end DAC to benefit from these products. If any do, I would question the DAC company before resorting to dangling a device like this in front of them."

I consider the £80 Cambridge audio dac xs to be sufficiently high end, so that definition would encompass the Dragonfly (though having owned both, I think the xs is better).

The JitterBug doesn't "improve" sound per se, it can only remove some (but not all) negative electrical/electronic anomalies between computer and DAC. I've gotten mixed results, but in one case it did pay for itself.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
dalethorn said:
The JitterBug doesn't "improve" sound per se...

Shame their sales spiel doesn't agree with you :(

The Result: Clearer and more compelling sound, music, dialog, etc. A better audio experience.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
dalethorn said:
The JitterBug doesn't "improve" sound per se...

Shame their sales spiel doesn't agree with you :(

The Result: Clearer and more compelling sound, music, dialog, etc. A better audio experience.

I worked in electronics and computer sales in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills for 7 years, and wrote quite a bit of ad-promo copy myself. I learned how to express my ideas without lying about the products. So maybe I need to go back and have another look at Audioquest's promo claims, but the thing is, the advance claims on nearly everything today - headphones included - has little to do with reality. Look at all of the descriptions of how amps sound - they're just as variable as headphones according to reviews, but we should know that headphones vary 100 times greater than amps, but still, the reviews go on. I thought after reading the claims about the JitterBug that all I had to do is have lower expectations, and everything would be OK. And I think that's how it turned out. I'm just happy that's a $50 USD investment - people with large home systems with speakers - they spend thousands on tweaks, especially cables.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
dalethorn said:
I worked in electronics and computer sales in Los Angeles and Beverly Hills for 7 years, and wrote quite a bit of ad-promo copy myself. I learned how to express my ideas without lying about the products. So maybe I need to go back and have another look at Audioquest's promo claims, but the thing is, the advance claims on nearly everything today - headphones included - has little to do with reality. Look at all of the descriptions of how amps sound - they're just as variable as headphones according to reviews, but we should know that headphones vary 100 times greater than amps, but still, the reviews go on. I thought after reading the claims about the JitterBug that all I had to do is have lower expectations, and everything would be OK. And I think that's how it turned out. I'm just happy that's a $50 USD investment - people with large home systems with speakers - they spend thousands on tweaks, especially cables.

I totally agree. It's one of the reason I like Schiit - they don't make claims, they just present the product, explain what it's for and leave the rest to you. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts