Dragonfly red

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I was nearly done with hifi buying, a mojo was calling me, but wanted something small and didn't need charging, bought one of these today. I hope it works well with my AKG K72

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
I was nearly done with hifi buying, a mojo was calling me, but wanted something small and didn't need charging, bought one of these today. I hope it works well with my AKG K72

You've named what's on one end, what's on the other end?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
muljao said:

A notebook pc with musicbee and flac files,

I'll also put flac files on a Moto g4

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
dalethorn said:
muljao said:

Good - especially good to try a computer and a phone (or similar device). My iPhones always sound different from my Macbook even though playing the same WAV-format track, even though the computer and phone are feeding digital into the DF Red. It could be my phone is sending out digital that's a little bit different, or it might be the different music players.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
dalethorn said:
muljao said:

Good - especially good to try a computer and a phone (or similar device).  My iPhones always sound different from my Macbook even though playing the same WAV-format track, even though the computer and phone are feeding digital into the DF Red.  It could be my phone is sending out digital that's a little bit different, or it might be the different music players.
Thanks. I'll probably have it Monday, I'll try a few configurations and report back. I'm confident that this will be a good buy

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
So just to follow up, I got my red dragonfly (shout out for "the little audio company"). It definetely does what it says on the tin. It dlivers very detailed music and does so with plenty headroom power.

I have 2 sets of headphones that I consider good for music (I have cheap bluetooth ones also that are only for convenience). My AKG451 and a set of bigger AKG K72. I always preferred the little 451s but assumed the k72s needed more power. It isn't really so, the 451s are lively and fun, the k72s are a little dead by comparison. The dragonfly improved them both over just pc or phone (flac files from the phone and pc sounded identical to me even though I use musicbee on the pc and USB audio pro on the phone)

I'll follow up with a more detailed few words once I have this a while, my only thing now is I want a set of closed back around ears headphones that sound as good as my 451s

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
So just to follow up, I got my red dragonfly (shout out for "the little audio company"). It definetely does what it says on the tin. It dlivers very detailed music and does so with plenty headroom power. I have 2 sets of headphones that I consider good for music (I have cheap bluetooth ones also that are only for convenience). My AKG451 and a set of bigger AKG K72. I always preferred the little 451s but assumed the k72s needed more power. It isn't really so, the 451s are lively and fun, the k72s are a little dead by comparison. The dragonfly improved them both over just pc or phone (flac files from the phone and pc sounded identical to me even though I use musicbee on the pc and USB audio pro on the phone) I'll follow up with a more detailed few words once I have this a while, my only thing now is I want a set of closed back around ears headphones that sound as good as my 451s

I'd strongly suggest the around-ear AKG K553 for best fidelity around $120 USD (massdrop), or the warmer sounding on-ear Thinksound On1 or On2 for about the same price. The only really decent around-ear headphone I know of that can be bought for $50 is the Edifier H850.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
So just to follow up, I got my red dragonfly (shout out for "the little audio company"). It definetely does what it says on the tin. It dlivers very detailed music and does so with plenty headroom power. I have 2 sets of headphones that I consider good for music (I have cheap bluetooth ones also that are only for convenience). My AKG451 and a set of bigger AKG K72. I always preferred the little 451s but assumed the k72s needed more power. It isn't really so, the 451s are lively and fun, the k72s are a little dead by comparison. The dragonfly improved them both over just pc or phone (flac files from the phone and pc sounded identical to me even though I use musicbee on the pc and USB audio pro on the phone)  I'll follow up with a more detailed few words once I have this a while, my only thing now is I want a set of closed back around ears headphones that sound as good as my 451s

I'd strongly suggest the around-ear AKG K553 for best fidelity around $120 USD (massdrop), or the warmer sounding on-ear Thinksound On1 or On2 for about the same price.  The only really decent around-ear headphone I know of that can be bought for $50 is the Edifier H850.

Just one question, is the akg k550 pretty much the same as the 553?as 550 available here, but no 553. Do you think they'd be better that the k72, thanks

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
muljao said:
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
So just to follow up, I got my red dragonfly (shout out for "the little audio company"). It definetely does what it says on the tin. It dlivers very detailed music and does so with plenty headroom power. I have 2 sets of headphones that I consider good for music (I have cheap bluetooth ones also that are only for convenience). My AKG451 and a set of bigger AKG K72. I always preferred the little 451s but assumed the k72s needed more power. It isn't really so, the 451s are lively and fun, the k72s are a little dead by comparison. The dragonfly improved them both over just pc or phone (flac files from the phone and pc sounded identical to me even though I use musicbee on the pc and USB audio pro on the phone) I'll follow up with a more detailed few words once I have this a while, my only thing now is I want a set of closed back around ears headphones that sound as good as my 451s

I'd strongly suggest the around-ear AKG K553 for best fidelity around $120 USD (massdrop), or the warmer sounding on-ear Thinksound On1 or On2 for about the same price. The only really decent around-ear headphone I know of that can be bought for $50 is the Edifier H850.

Just one question, is the akg k550 pretty much the same as the 553?as 550 available here, but no 553. Do you think they'd be better that the k72, thanks

The K553 is exceptional, even at double the price. I have no doubt it's vastly superior to the k72, but I don't know about the K550. I think headfonia reviewed the K550.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
dalethorn said:
muljao said:
So just to follow up, I got my red dragonfly (shout out for "the little audio company"). It definetely does what it says on the tin. It dlivers very detailed music and does so with plenty headroom power. I have 2 sets of headphones that I consider good for music (I have cheap bluetooth ones also that are only for convenience). My AKG451 and a set of bigger AKG K72. I always preferred the little 451s but assumed the k72s needed more power. It isn't really so, the 451s are lively and fun, the k72s are a little dead by comparison. The dragonfly improved them both over just pc or phone (flac files from the phone and pc sounded identical to me even though I use musicbee on the pc and USB audio pro on the phone)  I'll follow up with a more detailed few words once I have this a while, my only thing now is I want a set of closed back around ears headphones that sound as good as my 451s

I'd strongly suggest the around-ear AKG K553 for best fidelity around $120 USD (massdrop), or the warmer sounding on-ear Thinksound On1 or On2 for about the same price.  The only really decent around-ear headphone I know of that can be bought for $50 is the Edifier H850.

The K553 is exceptional, even at double the price.  I have no doubt it's vastly superior to the k72, but I don't know about the K550.  I think headfonia reviewed the K550.

Thanks, I'll buy the 553 next payday :)

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I am still trying to find something that says definitively 'the red is better than the black by enough to justify you buying it'.

And I can't. Which is very annoying because I WANT to buy it. *biggrin*

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
davidf said:
They use different DACs, so they're definitely going to be different. Why not try both out yourself?

The last guy I had in here to try both out bought the Red.

I already have the black which I like a lot. Not sure how I can try the red really but I'll read some more.

TRENDING THREADS