Dragging my system out of the stone age

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Im after some advice regarding the upgrade of my quite tired looking system.

My Current system consists of a Samsung LE46M87 TV, Sky HD ( the only newish bits!), A Sony STR DB930 AV amp, Sony DVP S7700 DVD player (love that piece to bits!), KEF Q65 SE fronts, KEF model 100 Centre, 65DS Rears and a tiny little KEF 20B sub woofer...

Im going to be upgrading the AV amp to something around the £400-700 mark. Possibly an ONKYO 606 or one of the new Sony ES amps due out soon ( waiting for some reviews!!). Im also going to be purchasing a blueray player again possibly the Panasonic BMP BD 30 or one of the new Sonys. Movies are very important in the household!

So the big question is should I think about adding a new set of KEF Q7s at the front and then moving all my other bits around so the Q65s become rears alongside the 65DSs forming a 7.1 System. Will this work? Im worried about mixing the dipoles with the floor standers... or would I be better sticking with a 5.1 setup and upgrading the whole speaker set some way off in the future ( the speakers are literally museum pieces according to KEFs website) ?

Any advice greatly appreciated :D 

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
If you can afford to, it's probably better to do a full 'clean sweep' and start afresh.

I guess it's all down to budget and whether you want to stick with traditional speakers, or go for smaller, sexier but admittedly less capable style speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hmm oh well, I was kind of hoping the new amp and other bits and pieces would breath new life into the speakers. Do you think a new 'lifestyle' speaker system would give me better sound??

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Far from it, sadly - traditional speakers offer much more for the money, and are better movie/music all-rounders. What's your total upgrade budget?

A

Anonymous

I've got around £1000 to spend on the new amp and blu-ray player then I can probably afford another £500-700 to make it a 7.1 speaker system which is why I was thinking about adding to my current system rather than starting over... I was presuming a new pair of iQ7s may be a good idea as they would fit best but wasnt sure how the old dipole speakers would work with the old Q65s as rears..ÿ

A

Anonymous

D'oh. its actually the iQ9s I was looking at getting not the iQ7s...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts