Dont take my word for it . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
@ Sir Law: You can't resist spitting poison at people. I do make changes, but unlike a some I rarely make a poor choice.

When it comes to putting makeshift weights on the tonearm to try and improve the sound, I was doing this as a teenager with blobs of plasticine on home-made turntables.

If you looked at my earlier post I did actually pay CJ a huge compliment on his kit and couldn't see any need to mess.

Right, I'm off to place a poached egg on top of my CDP - let's see if that improves things. :dance:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
@ Sir Law: You can't resist spitting poison at people. I do make changes, but unlike a some I rarely make a poor choice.

When it comes to putting makeshift weights on the tonearm to try and improve the sound, I was doing this as a teenager with blobs of plasticine on home-made turntables.

If you looked at my earlier post I did actually pay CJ a huge compliment on his kit and couldn't see any need to mess.

Right, I'm off to place a poached egg on top of my CDP - let's see if that improves things. :dance:

You know what PP . . . you realy dont see the point do you, lumps of plasticine:doh: . . . you realy don get it mate? Mass weight does not move, one did say origional "reballance the arm" . . . The heading to this thread is; 'dont take my word for it' . . . stop being negative, and give it a try, you might learn something!

:wall: . . . CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
. . . Hazels going out for an hour or so . . . I'm going to have an enjoyable music session listening to some hooligan music on my highly tuned, compliment acclaimed by PP, very simple two chanell hifi system . . .

CJSF :dance:

CJSF said:
. . . Hazels going out for an hour or so . . . I'm going to have an enjoyable music session listening to some hooligan music on my highly tuned, compliment acclaimed by PP, very simple two chanell hifi system . . .

Yes, I do like to keep it simple. And NO wouldn't try these little adjustments, as I've far too much with my home life to concern myself about counterweights on the tonearm or sticky-back head shells or sticking a bat in the mains flex...

You Do enjoy it, which is fine. I tried to understand why you do but still cannot fathom with any reasonable explanation why.

Enjoy your set-up.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
As fars as adding weight to the arm/cartridge is concerened. Going by the matching tabes I hve seen and infomation given to me directly by individuals for with I am most greatfull. I conclude my efforts are more towards the imovability of a mass, the more mass the firmer it will be, rather than compliance matching of the arm to cartridge, that window is fairly wide, keep within the paramiters and all is well.

So, a floating mass, ie arm, is less likly to move in relatio to the driven stylus and cataliever leaverage forces, the heaiver the floating mass is. Think about it . . . its like a drawing board, try to write on the boards and the boards is shaking, the image you draw will be inprecise, stop or reduce the boad movement and your picture will be clearer,
What?? No offence, I think you've missed something. You're changing the resonance frequency, which is a product of of the cantilever vibrating as you describe there's no magic. Only going to work if the cartridge needs it. If you do that on arms that are a good match it means you like the distortion it gives you.

Sure you're not thinking of damping?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:

You Do enjoy it, which is fine. I tried to understand why you do but still cannot fathom with any reasonable explanation why.

Enjoy your set-up.

Oh boy, I needed that bit of hooligan peddle to the metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . :rockout:

I have just experienced almost two hours of superb music, amazing deep base, wonderful room filling image. I listend to Jeff Beck, Peter Gabriel, Simply Red, Steve Gibbons. particularly recomend these tracks; Simply Red 'Sad Old Red', Peter Gabriel, 'Dont Give Up', 'Rhythm of the heat' and 'Shock the Monkey' . . . my favourits from the session.

The headshell mass weight has improved (yes, better) my system information gathering ability, presentation and base end, but I have always know I could improve, as has been shown over the past 2 years, stead improvement for the least possible cost.

This aftenoon, I thought a bit of live performance might be a good idea . . . First Steve Gibbons, a great recording with loads of atmosphere, but the mic placement I though was weak, however I like Steve Gibbons, heard him live at 1987 Bristol HiFI bash on the Saturday night. Turn the wick up, turn the centeral heating down, the valves get hot enough to heat the room:dance: Great sound, but . . . I re adjusted the arm bias, what a revelation, the micing was pefect, the room filled with sound, it did not matter where one stood in the room, it was a 'live performance'!

. . . ? how about another live album I dont give much credit to; Peter Gabriel Live . . . same senario, the live auditorium was in my room, I could almost touch the atmosphere This is why I keep fiddling PP, when it dont make a differeance I will stop, some changes are just that, changes I prefer one to the other, some are better, like the curent experiance with the mass weights, demonstratable 'more' for very little cost.

With all due respect PP, you want to make changes if your postes are anything to go by, so why dont you, you dont seem to sight family as a problem at those times? . . . :wall:

So, a great afternoon of music for me, dont take my word for it, try the mass weight idea for your selfs, its a good'un.

CJSF :cheers:

. . . now I bow out . . . 8)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
CJSF said:
As fars as adding weight to the arm/cartridge is concerened. Going by the matching tabes I hve seen and infomation given to me directly by individuals for with I am most greatfull. I conclude my efforts are more towards the imovability of a mass, the more mass the firmer it will be, rather than compliance matching of the arm to cartridge, that window is fairly wide, keep within the paramiters and all is well.

So, a floating mass, ie arm, is less likly to move in relatio to the driven stylus and cataliever leaverage forces, the heaiver the floating mass is. Think about it . . . its like a drawing board, try to write on the boards and the boards is shaking, the image you draw will be inprecise, stop or reduce the boad movement and your picture will be clearer,
What?? No offence, I think you've missed something. You're changing the resonance frequency, which is a product of of the cantilever vibrating as you describe there's no magic. Only going to work if the cartridge needs it. If you do that on arms that are a good match it means you like the distortion it gives you.

Sure you're not thinking of damping?

There are elements of changing the resonance, and damping, I have had concerastions with Jeff Spall at Audiomods over this and the weights. The point is one has had a look at the tables re resanences, the resenance moves around acording to the weight, but keep it in the 8 to 12hz window all is OK, The damping factor also comes in easpecialy with the copper weights, (one aluminium, two copper) and of course the BluTack link, which will be non existant when the mass weight is properly installed between headshell and cartridge. Thats a whole new ball game yet to be explored.

If you want to argue the tose on technicalitys, the manufacturers of the Mass Weights is the place to go, I simply report 'it works for me'.

There is also an ellement of the 'black art in hifi', is it resenance, is it damping . . . what ever it is, I like it, I know it is more pleasurable, informative and musical for me. Been this route in my previous life with tuning and making of speaker stands, A/B, you either like it or you dont, we ran on about 85% positive, thats fair enough.

I can see this turning into an argumentative situation, so often happens on WHF when things are not understood . . . I'm out of here. How many times have I said it, 'dont take my word for it . . . try it for your self'.

CJSF

CJSF said:
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:

Enjoy your set-up.

Oh boy, I needed that bit of hooligan peddle to the metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . :rockout:

With all due respect PP, you want to make changes if your postes are anything to go by, so why dont you, you dont seem to sight family as a problem at those times? . . . :wall:

So, a great afternoon of music for me, dont take my word for it, try the mass weight idea for your selfs, its a good'un.

Not really sure where you're coming from. I am many things but a hooligan I'm not .

When I purchased the Leema I knew the rest had to be upgraded. Would love to upgrade, but sadly I can't in one hit! Even though I'm self-employed, I don't have resources to go out and spend, spend, spend.... it wasn't my first choice, but family comes first. Surely that doesn't stop me in asking the best ways to upgrade? Next year things will take shape.

My philosophy is minimal input and maximum enjoyment. And that's wot I got 'as is'.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I don't have resources to go out and spend, spend, spend . . . Surely that doesn't stop me in asking the best ways to upgrade?

Then I can't see what possible problem you have with CJ posting about a free potential upgrade for people who may be in a similar situation? I really can't see why you posted on the thread at all, especially facetious things like 'I'm off to place a poached egg on top of my CDP'.

BenLaw said:
plastic penguin said:
I don't have resources to go out and spend, spend, spend . . . Surely that doesn't stop me in asking the best ways to upgrade?

Then I can't see what possible problem you have with CJ posting about a free potential upgrade for people who may be in a similar situation? I really can't see why you posted on the thread at all, especially facetious things like 'I'm off to place a poached egg on top of my CDP'.

I don't have a problem with CJ posting his findings. I'm trying to suss why he's doing it when there are more civil ways of doing it (I think). Yes the poached egg was a throw-away comment - any less stupid? WHFI once recommended placing a brick on top of a CDP, so the egg is my version. You can't eat a brick.

Perhaps if you posted more helpful recommendations, rather than flexing your ego, I'd think differently. You won't change, nor will I. C'est la vie.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:
plastic penguin said:
CJSF said:

Enjoy your set-up.

Not really sure where you're coming from. I am many things but a hooligan I'm not .

When I purchased the Leema I knew the rest had to be upgraded. Would love to upgrade, but sadly I can't in one hit! Even though I'm self-employed, I don't have resources to go out and spend, spend, spend.... it wasn't my first choice, but family comes first. Surely that doesn't stop me in asking the best ways to upgrade? Next year things will take shape.

My philosophy is minimal input and maximum enjoyment. And that's wot I got 'as is'.

. . . "Oh boy, I needed that bit of hooligan peddle to the metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! . . .
rockout.gif

I have just experienced almost two hours of superb music, amazing deep base, wonderful room filling image. I listend to Jeff Beck, Peter Gabriel, Simply Red, Steve Gibbons. particularly recomend these tracks; Simply Red 'Sad Old Red', Peter Gabriel, 'Dont Give Up', 'Rhythm of the heat' and 'Shock the Monkey' . . . my favourits from the session."

Here you go PP, pleas take thing in context, as everyone can see, I was refering to the music . . . 'hooligan music, a bit of rough and tumble'.

Please dont knock the contents of my post untill you have tried it!

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS