Dolby Digital on Onkyo TX-SR875

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I've just finished setting up my 875 with KEF 3005SEs and sky+ box. The sky+ box is connected to the 875 optically and the sound setting on the sky box is to Dolby D. However I am unable to select Dolby D on any of the listening modes on the 875. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to sort this out? I only seem to be able to get Dolby Prologic IIEX - which I believe is pointless as I have a 5.1 set-up not a 7.1 set-up. Am i right in assuming that the 2 extra channels of sound are simply lost, or will the amp push out 5.1 surround instead of the 7.1?

All a bit confusing for a simple-minded soul like me!

A

Anonymous

Most of Sky's output is stereo/pro logic, some movies, sport and a few other things may be DD but thats it.

R

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that - I was under the impression that more stuff was broadcast in DD on Sky.

I watched first DVD with the new setup last night and I think I may have the settings wrong, as the base seemed very heavy (although I have never had a subwoofer attached before so I'm not sure). On the other hand when listening to music the bass is barely audiable?

I have followed the instructions as best I can, but the kef instructions just say 'select small speakers' on the amp. However the 875 is a little more complex than that!

I have now set the front and rear speakers to 70Hz and the centre to 60Hz, with no bass-boost on the sub. I have no idea whether or not this is correct, or whether the 3005SEs are THX certified.

Any advice that anyone can offer with the setup, which isn't exactly clear, would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It uses Dolby Digital, but not all of it is 5.1.

That set-up sounds about right - I might even go a little higher on the sub, crossing over at 80Hz. And no, the 3005SEs aren't THX certified.

I found the auto set-up on the 875 tends to make the sub run a little too loud: turning it down on the sub itself or the receiver's channel trims should solve the problem.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Andrew,

I've just checked the setting s and the options are:

Subwoofer: Yes

Front: 70Hz

Centre: 60Hz

Surround: 70Hz

LPF of LFE: 80Hz(THX)

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]I might even go a little higher on the sub, crossing over at 80Hz[/quote]

Not sure where the option for this is, I assumed it was the LFE thingy that I have now set to 80Hz. As for music with this setting there is hardly any bass from the sub, is that normal? Seems like one extreme to the other DVD Vs CD with no change in settings?

Thanks again.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="marshal478"][quote user="Andrew Everard"]I might even go a little higher on the sub, crossing over at 80Hz[/quote]
Not sure where the option for this is, I assumed it was the LFE thingy that I have now set to 80Hz.[/quote]

It's in the speaker settings menu, see manual p86.

[quote user="marshal478"]As
for music with this setting there is hardly any bass from the sub, is
that normal? Seems like one extreme to the other DVD Vs CD with no
change in settings?[/quote]

Try using the Double Bass feature - see manual p88.

A

Anonymous

I've come to realize that not many things are in full DD 5.1! Don't subscribe to movies - the thieves at BSB get enough money out of me, I don't fancy paying them to choose films for me too!

Thanks for all the advice.

A

Anonymous

Try tuning in to BBC HD on channel 143 - although it doesn't say so, it's nearly all broadcast in DD and the sound is awsome - especially between prevew clips when the HD logo is displayed. This is a good test of if your system is working correctly!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Pardon ignorance, but do you get Channel 143 on a Sky+ box? Not at home now, so can't check on our bedroom box, which is Sky+, but thought it was only available from Sky on the HD box.

A

Anonymous

The HD box automatically comes with the Sky+ facility, so yes it's a Sky HD box.......which has Sky+ built in. As I only have that box, I don't know if 143 is available on a regular Sky+ box, but would think not as it's an HD channel..........

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ah yes, but when we refer to a Sky+ box, it means the SD one, whereas the Sky HD box is the only HD one - that's how Sky refers to them - although yes, it does have Sky+ functionality built-in. We have both boxes at home.

Now home and have checked - if you call up BBC HD on 143 on a standard Sky+ box, you get a message to call a number for details of how to get the channel, just as you do on all the other HD channels. Much as I suspected, in fact...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts