Does what I want exist??!

CornwallJon

Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi there, I am looking for a way to make an old Technics SL1210MkII turntable play nicely with a pair of old-ish KRK Rokit 5 active monitor speakers. I have around 1,000 vinyl records that I want to be able to play; most are not in great condition having been DJ-ed around the place for years and I don't really intend to buy more, but I would like to be able to listen to what I have. I know I need a phono stage preamp, but have seen that there are some which have a USB output that could enable me to archive my vinyl digitally. Also wondered if there is anything I can get with Bluetooth/streaming functionality so that I could also use the set-up to play music from my Mac or iPhone. Other option might be a new turntable with preamp built in. I am not an audiophile, just looking to listen to my old vinyl for a bit of nostalgia!

You have a good turntable however if the cartridge hasn't been changed it may need replacing. I wouldn't get rid of the deck though just find a cheapest phono preamp. The Pro-ject Phono Box USB will do the job but it's £129
It's going to take an age if you want to digitally transfer all of that vinyl :)
The Bluetooth bit will have to be done separately, and I believe there are devices around but I will leave this bit for others.

Reactions: CornwallJon

daytona600

1,000 record unless damaged they will sound much better after a good clean
Phono stage & Bluetooth project S2

9 source devices can be connected simultaneously:
High-quality phono MM + high output MC preamp
3 analogue line level inputs (2x RCA, 1x 3,5mm jack)
XMOS asynchronous USB 24bit/192kHz input for computer audio
Digital coax input (up to 24bit/192kHz)
2 Toslink inputs (up to 24bit/96kHz)
Wireless Bluetooth streaming (aptX capable)

CornwallJon

Mar 2, 2020
Visit site
1,000 record unless damaged they will sound much better after a good clean
Phono stage & Bluetooth project S2

9 source devices can be connected simultaneously:
High-quality phono MM + high output MC preamp
3 analogue line level inputs (2x RCA, 1x 3,5mm jack)
XMOS asynchronous USB 24bit/192kHz input for computer audio
Digital coax input (up to 24bit/192kHz)
2 Toslink inputs (up to 24bit/96kHz)
Wireless Bluetooth streaming (aptX capable)

Whoah! that is very comprehensive, thank you!

Gray

Depending on its stylus type, that old disco / radio station workhorse of a cartridge wasn't bad - but, presuming you no longer need its back-cueing robustness, it may be worth experimenting with something from, say, the latest Audio Technica VM range of cartridges. There's this:
Or with a lesser stylus, one for around £40.
(The detachable headshell makes cartridge experimentation easy).
Likewise, that Technics deck of yours was, as you know, often regarded as more disco than h-fi. Now though, more people are coming round to the benefits of the high-torque direct drives. You may have seen favourable reviews for their new 1500C model - It's £900 (although that includes a £90 cartridge), many would say your 1210 is better - not least for being Jap. made as opposed to Chinese.
I certainly wouldn't be looking to buy another TT if I were you.
As for archiving vinyl. Nice idea. There's a couple of us here that have done a bit..... We thought ripping CDs was time consuming!
If you're gonna do it properly - divide album tracks, remove all pops and clicks, find best quality album art, add metadata etc......no joke Jon, you need to take your age / life expectancy into consideration.
Those into streaming would ask why anyone would bother - but no doubt you've got vinyl that's not available to stream (not to mention mixes / recordings that just sound better) - maybe just do those.

So keep the TT, try a new cartridge, then decide whether or not you need the USB output on any Phono preamp - then you'll get some suggestions.

As for streaming / bluetooth, I use separate, cheapy items, so don't know enough about all-in-one solutions, but others will have plenty of suggestions for you.

gasolin

I have always wanted a technics sl 1210, Discotheque (spell check) in the early 90's only used turntables and by fare the sl 1210 was most popular.

you can save alot of money buying a i wanna be a technics a sl 1210 turntable (reloop,audiotechnica) waht you can do is buy a dj cartridge from a om series either ortofon om or made by ortofon like reloop.

You could for convenience buy 2 that requires the same tracking force and all you have to do is change the needle if you play really loud or scratch

like some has klipsch,cerwin vega for partys and B&W, dali,harbeth for hifi (sound quality)

Now for turntable it could be the model from audiotechnica with a phonostage built in or else it would be a preamp with phonostage

Here is a simple volumecontrol for active speakers + turntabel with a phonostage built in

https://www.doukaudio.com/nobsound-...ster-pc-speaker-amplifier-switcher-p0129.html

Tube buffer,preamp with tubes

Last edited:

daytona600

SL1200 DJ carts do not offer the best sound designed for abuse in a nightclub
try a Grado DJ100 / DJ200 audiophile cartridge & you can Mix & Backcue

.front-banner1480x436px_concordecentury.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts