Does volume makes the difference?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Gents,

Most of the time I watch movies during night and because of that I have to keep the volume at moderate level, between -25 to -35. Sometimes I will turn the volume until -15 during weekends but not always.

I have had two av amp previous, both being entry level. And my question is, will there be noticeable difference between an entry level and mid level amp when both played at moderate level (lets say between Denon 1910 & 2310)? Or do I need to turn up the volume to hear the difference?

I know speakers play important role but lets keep things simple shall we?[:p]

idc

I think that volume makes a difference in that you have a sweet spot with any amp and kit where it is loud enough to hear details and dynamics as they should be. Too low with volume and the sound is flat and lifeless and too high is starts to distort and details are drowned out. All amps in all different set ups will have slightly different sweet spots. Often the sweet spot is a small turn in the volume between 10 and 11 o'clock.

I do not think that it matters what level your amp is at as all have their own sweet spot. A better amp may have a larger sweet spot than an entry level one. My X-CANV8P has a sweet spot from 7 to 2 o'clock. My cheaper X-CANS is from 7 to 9. That is likely because the volume control is a better make.

Blind tests between amps suggests that if you play them at the same volume, they can be very hard to differentiate between, no matter the cost.

Sliced Bread

I cannot comment on the two Denons, however from my experience the sound quality should improve even at low volumes as you move up the ladder. In fact, in terms of my last upgrade this was especially the case.

Maybe that it just the amplifiers I have used, but on all three upgrades, budget sony to midrange denon (3802) to Onkyo 905, there was a significant improvement at all volume levels. However one thing I really liked about upgrading is being able to play films at low volume levels without the films sounding "flat" as I too like to watch most films late at night.

Best to demo and find out for sure though.

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc & sliced bread sharing knowledge & experience
emotion-5.gif

I was watching Green Zone last night and all the blasts kept me at low level (-32), as mentioned by you gentlemen the movie sounds rather lifeless / muffled which makes me think will a better amp perform better given the same volume?

I demoed the Onkyo 876 and Denon 4310 and they are very nice when played at high volume but no way I can do that at home
emotion-6.gif

Oh well........

Sliced Bread

Hi Winyip,

Did you try the 876 at low levels? I use a 905, which is very similar to the 876 and it works very well at low levels. Maybe it depends on the amp / speaker combination. My missions sound best at moderate listening levels and quite reserved.

I also recently added a new sub, which seems to produce a more dynamic sound at lower volumes than my old one. Maybe this is something else to demo :).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
winyip:
Hi Gents,

Most of the time I watch movies during night and because of that I have to keep the volume at moderate level, between -25 to -35. Sometimes I will turn the volume until -15 during weekends but not always.

I have had two av amp previous, both being entry level. And my question is, will there be noticeable difference between an entry level and mid level amp when both played at moderate level (lets say between Denon 1910 & 2310)? Or do I need to turn up the volume to hear the difference?

I know speakers play important role but lets keep things simple shall we?
emotion-4.gif

It depends as well on how you have your amp set up as my normal listening is -35db, and if I went up to -15db, I would scare people!

A

Anonymous

Sliced Bread,

Nope, I never try them at low volume, the shop assistant proudly blast the system to impress me I guess
emotion-2.gif
Will do it whenever I drop them a visit.

The RSW12 huh, at 400 pound that's really a steal! But too bad, I don't reside in the UK.

Anyway, cheers mate.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails,

I don't really tweak my system, just plug in everything and run the auto calibration. At -35 sometimes I think my sub is not even there, hahaha.

Or maybe because my gears are not as juicy as yours
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

THX suggest optimal volume levels for cinema's so, suggest that louder should equate to a better experience - obviously there is a point it is too loud.

shreader

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
HI winyip the volume can differ depending on which dsp mode your using and your seating position.my yamaha 1065 auto mic set up advised to position it at ear level.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Over the years ive upgraded all sorts of equipment and cables etc

Ive found that the cleaner the mains supply is the lower volume I can listen to whilst maintaining the quality

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
My Onkyo 806 has recently been off for upgrade and was given a Sony str da2400es as a 'loan' receiver. What was interesting, apart from the difference in sound quality, was that I'm used to listening to most things through Sky (HD) at about -20db but with the Sony I was having to crank it up to -15db to get the same perceived sound levl, same with blu ray.

A

Anonymous

Hi,I have a 2310 and compared to my onkyo 606 before i get a much clearer sound at low sound levels and more dramatic.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the response.

Seems that I need to demo some gears myself to judge them. I might upgrade to higher range amp if I they are beneficial in my case
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I find that my sub level doesn't alter at the same rate as the rest of the speakers. I found that if I played some music late at night with a lower volume, the sub sounded more intrusive. I now have a 'quick set' which has a lower sub output for late night listening.

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner,

I have been told by some friends, electronic engineering background friends. They claimed the electricity is more stable / less noise at night especially midnight where there are less and less user.

Perhaps that's the reason?

Between, what's the 'quick set'?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts