Does those isolation cones make any difference?

A

Anonymous

They cost so much. But does it really worth it? How to choose it? Thanks.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
oteloj said:
They cost so much. But does it really worth it? How to choose it? Thanks.

If you're talking about the solid little cones that go under a piece of equipment, then they don't 'isolate' anything. They merely provide a more solid and less forgiving base. Equipment in general is designed to cope perfectly well as is, straight out of the box.

People consider TT bases as requiring isolation, but even TTs have suspension by design, so just need to be stable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IMO. Experimentation is the key.

I think different materials have different effects, which is component and taste dependent.

There are soft isolation materials like Sorbothane, a variety of solid pointed feet (again made from different materials) and wood. An off-cut of plywood is cheap and worth a try.

There are a huge variety of products, which go from pretty cheap, to very expensive....my advice is to experiment with the cheap solutions first, and see the sort of effects you get from hard or soft materials.........do a lot of Googling around "Isolation" and "Decoupling".

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I am very intrigued to try the Clearaudio Magix which is supposed to completely decouple the turntable from the platform...will get 3 of them next time to try and report back

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
acalex said:
I am very intrigued to try the Clearaudio Magix which is supposed to completely decouple the turntable from the platform...will get 3 of them next time to try and report back

They will not completely decouple the equipment. The guide pin will provide some mechanical interaction and Newton might have something to say regarding one of his laws. The devices will act as spring dampers and that is all. A partially inflated inner tube would be just as ineffective/effective, depending on how you percieve the problem or lack thereof.

Magix they may be, magic they are not.

basshound

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
acalex said:

Am I looking at the right things £235 each ? Seems a bit overpriced.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
basshound said:
acalex said:

Relative.

Worth it if the TT is reasonably expensive and it makes a difference. - Expensive otherwise.

regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
basshound said:
acalex said:

Relative.

Worth it if the TT is reasonably expensive and it makes a difference. - Expensive otherwise.

regards

Sometimes it's good to hear a well engineered solution, and then try and replicate it with a DIY solution (half inflated inner tubes etc). CJ is a master of this.........though it may require the "tweakers' gene".

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't help but think of "The Cone of Silence" in the 1960s TV comedy Get Smart that agent 86 Maxwell Smart insists on using when discussing top secret matters with his Chief. It's an isolation device that's supposed to be sound-proof but of course, doesn't work at all! Those of a particular vintage would remember it well :rofl: :rofl:

On a more serious note - I would agree that it's best to try what's out there. There are benefits to be enjoyed but best to audition for oneself.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
No matter how much you decouple or couple your turntable, it doesn't get round the problem that the pickup is designed to detect mechanical vibration, and the speakers are designed to produce it. Even floating on a magnetic cushion, sound waves will be impacting the turntable. If you have a solid concrete floor, there is an argument to have the turntable firmly coupled (solid table and pointy spikes) as this will damp any turntable vibration, rather than have the turntable floating about.

Now, I am no fan of turntables, but I have fiddled with them in the past in the days before CDs. If you can, the best and cheapest solution is to have the turntable in a different room to the speakers. Not for everyone, but solves all this acoustic feedback business.

A

Anonymous

Isolation mats can be expensive. I bought 2 squash balls, cut them along the seam welds and put the 4 domes under the feet of a Marantz 6000OSE KI and the soundstage expanded wonderfully. Job done for £4! Try it for the price of a Guiness in London!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I tried sqash balls. The shop refused a refund. But for a few quid I didn't regret trying. Good luck. Wanna buy 8 rubber hemispheres?

Are you saying they refused to take back the halfed squash balls ... ?

Outrageous

regards

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
basshound said:
acalex said:

I can get them at 100 euro/piece. I think you are looking at the price of the miniMagix probably

A

Anonymous

Single yellow dot squash balls. The red spot are too fast and bounce too much.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:
RobinKidderminster said:
I tried sqash balls. The shop refused a refund. But for a few quid I didn't regret trying. Good luck. Wanna buy 8 rubber hemispheres?

Outrageous

regards

I was offered half refund. I wanted double. They are a devil to cut up but worth a try again under my tt qhen I aet it up again. They were actually too soft for my amp. All squashy and squisgy. Under speakers they were flattened. Need hardee ones maybe? IF they help then a greater outlay may have been warranted. I'll try a cricket ball next.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
RobinKidderminster said:

Outrageous

regards

Reminds me of an episode of friends. 'I want my money back.' 'These squash balls are cut in half.' 'That's what I'm saying, these squash balls are cut in half, they're useless!'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts