Does the Naim Atom runs (very) warm?

Audiobob

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I'm thinking changing my Naim UnitiQute 2 for a Naim Atom. My UQ runs quite warm and I'm wondering the running temperature of the Atom. Any thoughts, experience about this?

D

Deleted member 116933

I'm thinking changing my Naim UnitiQute 2 for a Naim Atom. My UQ runs quite warm and I'm wondering the running temperature of the Atom. Any thoughts, experience about this?

If I remember correctly you can actually check the temps within the setup on the unit series. When I had my Uniti 2 it wasn't unusual for it, on a warm day (just sitting there) to be around the 50-degree mark average was around 47. They have a lot going on inside in a box that isn't vented with a thick steel shell which is used as a heat sink so need to be open to air flow not tucked in away in an enclosed space. Parts of the box will also feel warmer.

But yes they run warm and noticeably so when placing a hand on it, it will naturally be above room temp. When in use being pushed hard at volume it will be hitting the 65 maybe 70 mark, Think shut down is at 80.

Has it ever shut down? if it hasn't its nothing to worry about.

Can't say that I've noticed the Uniti Atom very warm. I'll fire up our Uniti Atom and get back to you.

Btw, as has been asked what speakers are you using please? I'll use the same speakers or try and use something comparable.

D

Deleted member 116933

Can't say that I've noticed the Uniti Atom very warm. I'll fire up our Uniti Atom and get back to you.

Btw, as has been asked what speakers are you using please? I'll use the same speakers or try and use something comparable.

Depends what you think is cold and OP thinks is warm.

D

Deleted member 116933

Fwiw, over the last three years we've not had concerns regarding temperature with our demo Uniti Atoms or those of our clients Uniti Atoms.

Oh, I never said i had concerns. But to say they're cool is an understatement. They are defo warm to the touch and noticeably so, its not class A warm, but as I say they sit comfortably above room temp. And most of the heat comes from the network card. I had a unit 2 for 5 or so years and had a super uniti 2 on demo and the same traits where present, and when pushed they get noticeably hotter again ( again nothing to worry about ). But ventilation is a must for the older series.

The atom should be cooler by design that much can be seen on the outside alone with those healthy fins.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 116933

Are you using low capacitance speaker cable?

Also, if you just wanna upgrade, you're better off putting a nap 100 or 200 from the sh market.

Oh yeah a 200dr. Man that made real difference that’s what I did in the end

Reactions: rainsoothe

rainsoothe

I use "Anti-Cables" level 2 (anticables.com). I doubt you have those in the UK. They're cheap and made a listenable difference.
I was actually considering anticables at some point, but only got a pair of jumpers for my old speakers. I did research them, and I think that in twisted configuration they are high capacitance - and in order to comply with the older Naim designs, I think that you have to have them shotgunned - or the + and - conductors running in parallel at 3 or 5 cm apart I think. If it's not too much of a hassle (and if it's possible - and, of course, if they're twisted, lol), try untwisting the conductors and see if that helps.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
It will be warm as class ab. Go for a better sounding amp in my view if SQ matters most. You always get poor value for money with Naim On SQ because all about the Naim. Katching. And the amps are average for what you spend. It tends to be the same with hifi firms of premium gear, who sell off their brand image or reputation. I say sitting here eating my hat on a Hegel h390 being better than more expensive hifi I have.

It will be warm as class ab. Go for a better sounding amp in my view if SQ matters most. You always get poor value for money with Naim On SQ because all about the Naim. Katching. And the amps are average for what you spend. It tends to be the same with hifi firms of premium gear, who sell off their brand image or reputation.

Currently listening to Roots Of The Earth - Mose Remix (Liquid Bloom, Mose, Ixchel Prisma) on a Naim Audio NDX 2 > Naim Audio Nait XS 3 > Acoustic Energy AE509's. The system rocks (y)

And more Naim Audio components on their way from Naim Audio here tomorrow :cool:

You're a nobody without a Naim :)

Reactions: TheJoker

TRENDING THREADS