Does anyone use a dedicated power supply for their Hifi?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
All 10 of those devices generate noise which is then played back through your audio system.

Especially anything with a smps power supply which is the majority of things electronic now days.

I have no experience of that product might be great.

There is no mention of common mode or differential mode filtering - maybe its not needed as its a battery based supply

Batteries can be a very good power solution for.audio but can.also be bad depending according to some

I have found them wonderful for 5v never tried for above that.

Be interesting know what you think in the end

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've tried line-interactive UPS's & they IMO can help somewhat but the other half drew the line at having such things in the lounge, it didn’t help they had fans in too - Ideally manufactures ought to add a 12/24 volt input on all decent gear & then I could use old large ex UPS batteries outside in series & charge them as required (I could even weld a cabinet up to keep them in) Though seriously large batteries preferably outside would solve all power issues instantly but probably not so aesthetically pleasing esp. with associated cabling.

chasefrench

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
All 10 of those devices generate noise which is then played back through your audio system.

Especially anything with a smps power supply which is the majority of things electronic now days.

I have no experience of that product might be great.

There is no mention of common mode or differential mode filtering - maybe its not needed as its a battery based supply

Batteries can be a very good power solution for.audio but can.also be bad depending according to some

I have found them wonderful for 5v never tried for above that.

Be interesting know what you think in the end

On another note, what are your experiences with the JCAT USB? I m currently JPlay with the Paul Pang card to good effect, but I ve heard the JCAT is a big improvement due to the lack of psu requirements?

Are you just using that audio PC for sound or is it controlled by another PC on the network? Is it a master slave arrangement if you know what I mean?

My PC is a massive tower with 1000W PSU so not ideal for the job!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
As with most things in HiFi, there is a load of old nonsense talked about with power supplies. HiFi equipment draws very little power, a 100W lightbulb draws more power than a power amp at normal listening levels. Peak transients are not supplied by the mains suppy (how could it?), but by the amplifier's storage capacitors. The mains delivers average power, not peak. There is no point in connecting an amp as if it is an arc welder.

It is very easy and cheap for an amp designer to filter out mains noise - and therefore they do. A normal linear power supply in an amp is a very good mains filter in itself, and mains is generally pretty clean in the UK.

Having said all that, mains noise isnt unknown, but it is rare. Ifyou think you have a problem, before you waste money on some mains whizzbang product, it is very easy to test whether you have a mains noise problem. With no input, turn the amp way up. A gentle 'shushing' from the speakers is thermal noise in the amp's components. Absent dipping the amp in liquid helium, you are stuck with that.

Pop, crackle and buzz is mains noise. Got nothing? spend the money on a new CD.

If you do have pop, crackle or buzz, there may be some benefit in a mains filter. A decent filter isn't expensive. A UPS is a large switch mode power supply, usually aimed at PC users, and as a general rule should be avoided for HiFi use.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
All my hifi equipment has dedicated power supplies built in.

Mains nonsense, whether leads, conditioners or spurs don't make any difference to performance.

Congratulations, there you have it! No thread is complete without TrevC's words of wisdom. So this thread can now be safely retired in peace.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hifikrazy said:
TrevC said:

Mains nonsense, whether leads, conditioners or spurs don't make any difference to performance.

Congratulations, there you have it! No thread is complete without TrevC's words of wisdom. So this thread can now be safely retired in peace.

Despite your sarcasm, in the absence of something wrong with the mains supply Trevor is right.

Chris

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Regisss said:
Can anyone comment on this product?

http://www.in-akustik.com/en/KuZ/produkte/artikel.asp?ref_no=00762321&mobil=

No direct experience but a couple things concern me.

There seems to be no ground for the shielding on the cable, sure there is but its not mentioned and is very inportant

The ferrite is a good idea on its location but not sure how its wired up internally individual for each socket or daisy chained.

Isotek and clearer audio filter each channel individually and you have a ferrite on the main power lead - 2 actually.

That stops cross contamination from one product to the next, so your smps of your dac doesnt affect the amp.

iMark

I agree. But fortunately here in NL the power supply is pretty clean and the previous owners had al the electrics rewired. We have 15 groups. The living room is seperate from the kitchen etc. Washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, oven, fridge all have their own groups. The previous owners also had 5 points installed for cable TV (and FM). And it all worked flawlessly when we moved in.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thats very lucky to have a seperate ring main for your listening / living room. That wont stop airborne rfi but is better than having all the house products sharing for definate

I was wrong about the product linked to above.

It does have a connection from the screening to the earth.

It actually looks to be an exact same cable design as a tacima cs929 with slightly thicker conductors - probably thicker foil wrap as well.

TrevC

hifikrazy said:
TrevC said:

Indeed it can. :cheers:

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
kitkat said:
Yes, I have a Caterpillar diesel generator in the living room that just runs my hi-fi,, its very noisy and I can't hear the music from the hi-fi but at least I know it should sound better having its own power supply.

Yes, the Carbon monoxide detector should be chirruping along with the hi fi quite nicely..........8)

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:
Covenanter said:
Despite your sarcasm, in the absence of something wrong with the mains supply Trevor is right.

Chris

There seems to be an echo in here. And that's usually caused by large empty spaces.

How about a reasoned reply rather than a thinly veiled insult. It would be a nice change.

Not having you "weigh in" with your self indulgent comments that are not what the OP is looking for would be a welcome change.

TrevC

hifikrazy said:
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

There seems to be an echo in here. And that's usually caused by large empty spaces.

How about a reasoned reply rather than a thinly veiled insult. It would be a nice change.

Not having you "weigh in" with your self indulgent comments that are not what the OP is looking for would be a welcome change.

Just telling it like it is. No point in making up fanciful nonsense, I'll leave that to the clueless.

Do you have a technical reason to disagree? Thought not.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
spinningbeachballofdeath.gif

TrevC

hifikrazy said:
TrevC said:
Do you have a technical reason to disagree? Thought not.

Unlike you, i believe the hifi hobby is about listening to music, not measuring sound.

It's the science of sound reproduction. Don't know anything about the technical side? Then don't comment on it, rather than insult those that do. Thank you for your co-operation..

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I use PSX-R's with both my cyrus amplifier and cd player.

Whilst the one on the amplifier has more effect both do their job and I can attest to their respective effectiveness. This is not quite the same as most mains power supplies (as opposed to conditioners) but it does fall into the ballpark somewhat.

I also use Tacimas on my systems without adverse effect.

regards

TrevC

hifikrazy said:
I suppose when one is hard of hearing, measuring sound and focusing on the science is the next best thing

I suppose when one is clueless insults and trolling are all that are available to argue with. There's nothing wrong with my hearing, BTW.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Symptom of hearing deficiency..... Everything sounds the same or hardly any different. But look on the bright side, it can save you a lot of money since budget equipment sounds no different than high end ones.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
hifikrazy said:
I suppose when one is hard of hearing, measuring sound and focusing on the science is the next best thing

I suppose when one is clueless insults and trolling are all that are available to argue with. There's nothing wrong with my hearing, BTW.

:clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts