Does anyone still use a seperate cd transport and dac ?

sthomas048

May 23, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

Ah i remember back in the day when using a seperate cd transport and dac was the thing to do. Arcam delta transport - remember that, i think i had one, my memory is not so good these days ! I know cd is a dying format to some folks, and so this thread will be scoffed at, but i was wondering does anyone here still use a seperate transport and dac ?

While im at it, what are regarded as the best cd transports old or new ? The old Teac transports come up quite often. Browsing the net i notice that the most newest most recent transports cost around £1500 plus ! [:|]

Thanks

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i recently bought a pioneer pd-s703 stable platter to use as a cd transport while my mac mini is repaired. can't wait to get the mac back, to be honest.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment but Craig how much money would you have to spend to get equivalent sound from a CDP compared to your dac and mac set up?

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
sthomas048:

Hello,

Ah i remember back in the day when using a seperate cd transport and dac was the thing to do. Arcam delta transport - remember that, i think i had one, my memory is not so good these days ! I know cd is a dying format to some folks, and so this thread will be scoffed at, but i was wondering does anyone here still use a seperate transport and dac ?

While im at it, what are regarded as the best cd transports old or new ? The old Teac transports come up quite often. Browsing the net i notice that the most newest most recent transports cost around £1500 plus !
emotion-8.gif

Thanks

Well, until a few weeks ago, I was using a Meridian 500 Mk II transport with my Naim DAC.

Then it died and I bought the Olive
emotion-2.gif

BTW, £1500 for a transport? Small beer! There are many manufacturers out there where you'd be looking at 5 figures for a transport...a Zanden front end would be in my lottery system.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment but Craig how much money would you have to spend to get equivalent sound from a CDP compared to your dac and mac set up?

not sure shooter, the dac doesn't sound quite like anything else i've heard. you'd probably have to look at a chord cdp.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Craig M.:
shooter69:Sorry to hijack the thread for a moment but Craig how much money would you have to spend to get equivalent sound from a CDP compared to your dac and mac set up?

not sure shooter, the dac doesn't sound quite like anything else i've heard. you'd probably have to look at a chord cdp.

Cool, cheers.

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
sthomas048:

While im at it, what are regarded as the best cd transports old or new ? The old Teac transports come up quite often. Browsing the net i notice that the most newest most recent transports cost around £1500 plus !
emotion-8.gif

Take a look at the 'Sony KSS190A', a transport mechanism manufactured in the late 80's and fitted to many famous players. I own one of these, and the 'next track' access time is still between 1/3 of a second and 1 second. Not bad for a 22 year old transport! I've actually managed to walk into the loading tray twice by accident, and because of it's all metal construction there's no damage at all! Except to me!!! Superb engineering that really has lasted the test of time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts