Does anyone on here listen to dance music?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As the title asks, does anyone?

A sweeping generalisation, but it seems that alot of people on the forum listen to guitar based and classical music.

Nothing wrong with this, I do too, but I've not heard anyone mention dance music very often, if at all.

Now I'm well aware that there are many different kinds of dance music so are any types you are particularly fond of?

Im a huge fan of all sorts of music but Im currently listening to alot of early Chicago house music from the likes of Mr Fingers, Steve 'Silk' Hurley, Marshall Jefferson, Farley 'Jackmaster Funk etc.

Also right into early detroit techno from Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Carl Craig, Richie Hawtin and all that sort of stuff.

As you can probably tell I'm going through a 'getting to the source' phase.I did the same with hip hop a few months back.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
massive dance music fan here!!!

listen to drum and bass, breaks, electro breaks, techno, minimal techno, some deep house. occationally listen to psytrance and gabber.

not really into hardhouse or hardcore... freeform is apparently another one i dont like but i cannot really tell it apart from hardcore!

Paul.

Yay! We are hiding on here! My fave era was late 90's Breaks, Hybrid, BT, ILS etc. I quite like Old School Rave and Jungle, the non 4-4 stuff. In fact, pretty much any music with a break beat would sum it up!

A

Anonymous

Wey. Theres 2 of us! :dance:

I was reminiscing today on spotify with a blast of the gabber. I think I'll wait til a boozy party to play it again, I listened to it, almost exclusively, as a teenager. Nasenbluten at a wee club in Rosyth waere amazing!

Have you read the book Energy Flash; A Journey Through Dance and Rave Culture? Its a must for any dance music fan.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
R-2103485-1269627267.jpeg

DavidNorway

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Big dance music fan,it started with hip-hop(breaking) then got in to disco,funk,rare groove,jazz funk.Never really got in to house or garage only if it really shouted soul/jazz.Today my music taste is wide but dance wise it would be Bonobo,Four Tet,SBTRKT,was listening to Galliano at work today,brings back memories.Interesting you you make the point that this forum is very rock guitar based i have always wondered why?

xtrmntr said:

A sweeping generalisation, but it seems that alot of people on the forum listen to guitar based and classical music.

Nothing wrong with this, I do too, but I've not heard anyone mention dance music very often, if at all.

Now I'm well aware that there are many different kinds of dance music so are any types you are particularly fond of?

Im a huge fan of all sorts of music but Im currently listening to alot of early Chicago house music from the likes of Mr Fingers, Steve 'Silk' Hurley, Marshall Jefferson, Farley 'Jackmaster Funk etc.

Also right into early detroit techno from Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Carl Craig, Richie Hawtin and all that sort of stuff.

As you can probably tell I'm going through a 'getting to the source' phase.I did the same with hip hop a few months back.

/

A

Anonymous

Nice to see some old school ravers.

When I was reminiscing on Spotify with the gabber I ended up listeng to alot of old school aswell. Everything from Ultrasonic, The Rythmnic State to SL2 and Suburban Delay.

If theres enough people into it I would like to start a thread like the' what youve been listening to' for dance music.

I'm also inclined to agree that it's all about the breaks! :dance:

"Breaks on a bus, brakes on a car,
Breaks to make you a superstar,
Breaks to win and breaks to lose,
But these here breaks will rock your shoes.
And these are the breaks,
Break it up break it up break it up!"

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Listen to dance music all the time!!! Some of my favorite artists include: Inna<3, Edward Maya, Akcent, Kaskade, ATB, Wynter Gordon, Freemasons...

A

Anonymous

I've recently had a dance music revival, listening to some of the stuff I missed out on: deadmaus, trentemoller, echasketch, lulu rouge, booka shades, ajunta beats, peace orchestra...

Used to love breakbeat / trance / deep house / us garage, and before that hardcore house.

I also like other dance music like Strauss, Salsa & Swing Jazz :)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
xtrmntr said:

I was reminiscing today on spotify with a blast of the gabber. I think I'll wait til a boozy party to play it again, I listened to it, almost exclusively, as a teenager. Nasenbluten at a wee club in Rosyth waere amazing!

Nosebleed? A major regret that I didnt get there.

I listen to the whole spectrum from ambient stuff right through to Gabba / breakcore depending on how the mood takes me. I steer clear of Freeform and the really cheesey stuff as I am time served in Happy Hardcore and Hard House. Techno is my main choice and mostly what I would play out.

neilmistry

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I love most forms of electronic music. I regularly listen to the Global Underground, Bedrock and Renaissance mixes as well as artists such as Way Out West, BT, Underworld, Orbital, Hybrid etc. I also like bands like New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Electronic. I like to mix it up with some guitar based stuff and also some classical.

I'm on a mission at the moment to fill my collection with some older classics as I'm not very impressed with new releases at the moment. I recently bought Goldie's Timeless (the double CD) for £4, BT's ESCM for £2 and the early Nightmares on Wax CD's.

A

Anonymous

TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
xtrmntr said:

Nosebleed? A major regret that I didnt get there.

I listen to the whole spectrum from ambient stuff right through to Gabba / breakcore depending on how the mood takes me. I steer clear of Freeform and the really cheesey stuff as I am time served in Happy Hardcore and Hard House. Techno is my main choice and mostly what I would play out.

Yeah it was Nosebleed. Ive only been a handful of times but it was immense. I was only 16. My mates big sis and bro were dancers at various events, including Rez, so were quite involved in the scene. They got us in!

Eye opening I'll tell you! Loved it. :O

Theres a reunion on boxing day this year. No lineup confirmed as yet.

Ive two kids now or I'd be along there pronto!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nosebleed-official/230641326975974

proffski

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
xtrmntr said:

Oh yes, the real stuff like Benny Goodman & Peggy Lee, Glen Miller not forgetting Ockbrook Big Band and all the others with real talent.

A

Anonymous

proffski said:
xtrmntr said:

Oh yes, the real stuff like Benny Goodman & Peggy Lee, Glen Miller not forgetting Ockbrook Big Band and all the others with real talent.

As you were the first to snipe you get a pair of white gloves and a whistle! :dance:

A

Anonymous

proffski said:

Well, there is now a crossover style between Swing Jazz and (electronic) Dance Music. It's called Electroswing. Some of it ain't too bad, but I tend to feel a bit noxious if I listen to too much

(You forgot the Andrew Sisters, Duke Ellington, Count Bassie, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Jordan, Anita O'Day, Krupa, Artie Shaw, Woody Herman...)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
xtrmntr said:
True.

There will be more from others aswell no doubt.

Now you know what it feels like to be a golfer on the internet...

I like some dance music but not because it's dance music but because it's electronic. I like interesting noises and you get a lot of those in electronic music. I've no idea what any of the genres are though, if I like the noise I'll listen to it.

I've got Black Box Ride on Time on 12" re-issue though! :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts