Does a HDMI cable make a difference on standard definition?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a new TV (720 not 1080) and I have an X-Box 360. To get high definition gaming I will obviously need a HDMI cable, however will the cable make any difference when playing standard definition DVD's through the X-Box? I have a Clearer Audio Copper-line on order after reading the review and I do hope to upgrade to a blue ray player in the near future but I was just wondering if I would see the benefits sooner?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Don't think the xbox has inbuilt dvd upscaling so a HDMI cable is not going to make a difference for DVD playback (although I'm sure someone will be along shortly to prove me wrong).

A

Anonymous

Cheers. It gives me an excuse (even if a quite waek one) to get a blue ray player I supose.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, HDMI will make a difference as it's a higher-quality connection. And your TV will do the upscaling, so it doesn't matter if the xbox can't...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
jdw:
Cheers. It gives me an excuse (even if a quite waek one) to get a blue ray player I supose.

Yup, Clare's correct, but don't worry, you'll still have an excuse as even a budget Blu-Ray player like the Sony S350 will give you a better DVD picture and Blu-Ray will be vastly superior
emotion-2.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
but if the upscaling is happening at the screen side, does it matter whether there's a HDMI connection? Does the HDMI cable 'give the screen more to work with'?

A

Anonymous

For some strange reason my dvds look way better played on my xbox360 than they do when played through my Sony BDP S350..any reason as to why this is happening? Iv updated the firmware on the blu ray player but still the PQ on dvds looks better on the 360. Are the settings wrong on my tv or blu ray player?? The images seem to have kinda jaggy edges which are worse on the blu ray player when lookin from close up..

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ginder:For some strange reason my dvds look way better played on my xbox360 than they do when played through my Sony BDP S350..any reason as to why this is happening? Iv updated the firmware on the blu ray player but still the PQ on dvds looks better on the 360. Are the settings wrong on my tv or blu ray player?? The images seem to have kinda jaggy edges which are worse on the blu ray player when lookin from close up..

Are either of them upscaled by the player?

A

Anonymous

Ginder:For some strange reason my dvds look way better played on my xbox360 than they do when played through my Sony BDP S350..any reason as to why this is happening? Iv updated the firmware on the blu ray player but still the PQ on dvds looks better on the 360. Are the settings wrong on my tv or blu ray player?? The images seem to have kinda jaggy edges which are worse on the blu ray player when lookin from close up..

Well personally I think dvd playback on my xbox 360 Elite through HDMI is quite poor though I've no experience with the s350.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:

Well personally I think dvd playback on my xbox 360 Elite through HDMI is quite poor though I've no experience with the s350.

Dunno what it could be, but they do look worse when played through the S350. Tried my dvd of Kungfu Hustle in both last night, and the jaggy edges seem alot less through the xbox 360, also when played on the s350 i got more of a shimmering effect around people and objects than i do on the 360.

I think any screen size above 32inch is gonna make a dvd look poor in comparison to Hi Def material. Not come across one screen that makes dvds look better than my trusty old CRT..and to be honest thats a shame.

I took my copy of Aliens dvd with me when i went to see a Pioneer 508D a year or so ago, and the guy was talkin as though it looked amazing but it looked very ugly so much in fact that it almost changed my mind about buying a new tv. I ended up getting a 40W4500 a few months ago and dvds still look poor on it but when it comes to blu ray it looks really good. Games on my 360 look amazing and im glad i brought it cos gaming was the main reason i got the tv in the 1st place.

Iv heard dvd playback through one of the Toshiba dvd players is meant to be really good, and for 60 quid it might be worth it.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Ginder:Octopo:

Dunno what it could be, but they do look worse when played through the S350. Tried my dvd of Kungfu Hustle in both last night, and the jaggy edges seem alot less through the xbox 360, also when played on the s350 i got more of a shimmering effect around people and objects than i do on the 360.

I think any screen size above 32inch is gonna make a dvd look poor in comparison to Hi Def material. Not come across one screen that makes dvds look better than my trusty old CRT..and to be honest thats a shame.

I took my copy of Aliens dvd with me when i went to see a Pioneer 508D a year or so ago, and the guy was talkin as though it looked amazing but it looked very ugly so much in fact that it almost changed my mind about buying a new tv. I ended up getting a 40W4500 a few months ago and dvds still look poor on it but when it comes to blu ray it looks really good. Games on my 360 look amazing and im glad i brought it cos gaming was the main reason i got the tv in the 1st place.

Iv heard dvd playback through one of the Toshiba dvd players is meant to be really good, and for 60 quid it might be worth it.

Do you have the player set to upscale to 1080p? I have the Sony S550 which supposedly has the same upscaler as the S350, I have an older Bravia than you (W2000) and the upscaled dvd picture is stunning set at 1080p. Out of the box, the first bluray I played the resolution was 480p which I changed immediately. Check your manual.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Definitely something wrong Ginder, just done a quick comparison of Xbox vs Sony S550 - the Xbox picture is pretty awful, and the Sony is better by far. As Gerrard says, go through the manual and check your settings.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Ginder:Octopo:

Do you have the player set to upscale to 1080p? I have the Sony S550 which supposedly has the same upscaler as the S350, I have an older Bravia than you (W2000) and the upscaled dvd picture is stunning set at 1080p. Out of the box, the first bluray I played the resolution was 480p which I changed immediately. Check your manual.

Cheers guys, will be doin that first thing when i get a chance. I thought something wasnt right, hopefully that will sort it!

A

Anonymous

professorhat:I'm just hoping someone doesn't mistake me for someone else and kill me...

Prof what happened to your pic? You look like one of them kids on youtube that wave home made Uzi's around! LOL

Another thing guys, im having to turn up the volume to around 60 for it to sound okay.. is there anything in the audio section of the player to make it suitable for out putting through the TV? Iv not got any expensive speakers or amp/recievers so what i have done is connect the TV to my hifi system which makes it very clear and bassy..but the sound through the tv is still not very loud...level 30 for normal cable is loud but for blu ray its like a whisper...

Iv just tried adjusting the settings..is it output video format? Because iv changed that to HDMI, 1080p..Im sure this had made the picture alot better (been testing it with Kungfu Hustle Dvd) is there anything else i can do to make it look even better?

As for blu rays iv not changed anything, when i put a blu ray film in i think it autoatically detects it as the 24p light comes on and the BD-Rom 1080/24p Output is set to Auto..

Anyone else got Kungfu Hustle on DVD or blu ray?? Is it worth getting on blu ray if i already have it on dvd? Its one of my favourite movies!!!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
On the sound, it might make a difference if you connect the Blu-Ray player directly to the Hi-Fi through its own RCA phono outs. If you do this, you'd need to change the Audio Output Priority under Audio Settings to Stereo Analogue. If you need it actually coming out of the TV speakers, you could also look at the Audio (HDMI) setting and try 2ch PCM on this setting. There's also a mode called Audio DRC which has a TV Mode which apparently makes low sounds easier to hear. Sorry, I can't try any of these as mine is hooked up to an amp and hooking it to the TV to test would require a lot of shifting around!
For the picture, I have the following set under Video Settings, I have Screen Format set to Original, DVD Aspect Ratio set to Letter Box, Output Video Format set to HDMI and 1080p and everything else set to Auto. Whilst playing a disc, it's probably worth pressing Options, going into the A/V Settings, then Video Settings and checking out the options there e.g. turning on and off the NR.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Prof, i was thinking about connecting the blu-ray player to the hifi but then the TV sounds rubbish when watching normal TV or gaming. Its strange it only does this low volume thing when i put a BD in..the Tv is loud with normal dvds...Thanx for the tips il try em out inabit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts