Do you ever look out for new brands? Or do you own something you feel needs for air time?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone....

This is by no means a post to punt a certain brand or product.... but I have been guilty of following the reviews and never really exploring different brands or products... and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

I recently purchased a hybrid integrated amp, made in South Africa of all places.... not a place you would expect to be developing some awesome hi-fi components. And yes I'm aware of Vivid Audio speakers and a few other brands that originate from there.... I just never considered purchasing them before.

I have a stereo set-up that I felt needed a change, and I was hell bent on changing my speakers which are B&W CDM1NT's... but by chance I came across an amp called the Valve Audio Exclame, and I'm really enjoying the sound of my speakers again. It's changed my perspective.... I'm looking foward to purchasing some of the other components they produce.

So, back to my question... do you own a component that you feel is probably rare or something that the rest of us are missing out on?

Something for WHF - what about a feature on small 'boutique' manufacturers? maybe open our eyes to some new brands?

Cheers

SM

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi SM

I'm in your corner on this one. I started a thread called "Cinderalla Products", which bar a couple of replys, didn't stir up much interest.

Since then, I've just recommended stuff on an individual basis.

I'm always up for hearing about different products that aren't "the usual suspects".

Regards

Cno

CnoEvil said:
Hi SM I'm in your corner on this one. I started a thread called "Cinderalla Products", which bar a couple of replys, didn't stir up much interest. Since then, I've just recommended stuff on an individual basis. I'm always up for hearing about different products that aren't "the usual suspects". Regards Cno

That's all well and good, I like listning to new stuff if possible. However, you can't ignore the practical issue: I'm not prepared to travel to middle England to listen to an amp because there are no local dealers for that particular product.

A

Anonymous

I agree... it's not always practical, especially in terms of support or service for a product. But part of the fun when starting down this path was the constant demoing of new components or discovering something a bit different....

A couple of years ago I got to listen to a cdp made by Jolida... it was a vacuum tube cdp, sure it's probably not to everyones taste but it was an incredible product and a complete surprise. They seem to be known for the amps they produce, but not quite a brand that your local store will suggest or that features in reviews.

@CnoEvil - I must have missed that post, but I do hope that there are some responses that point to some new finds...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
Hi SM I'm in your corner on this one. I started a thread called "Cinderalla Products", which bar a couple of replys, didn't stir up much interest. Since then, I've just recommended stuff on an individual basis. I'm always up for hearing about different products that aren't "the usual suspects". Regards Cno

That's all well and good, I like listning to new stuff if possible. However, you can't ignore the practical issue: I'm not prepared to travel to middle England to listen to an amp because there are no local dealers for that particular product.

Hi PP

Not trying to have a go or complaining in any way. I'm very relaxed about what works on here, or what catches peoples' imagination. There is room for all points of view, and not everyone gets what I'm about.

Like the OP, I was just trying to highlight less known products that might be of interest, rather than criticizing anyone that's happy doing their own thing.

FWIW. I find your recommendations always helpful, and spoken from a kind heart.

Regards

Cno

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:

Hi PP Not trying to have a go or complaining in any way. I'm very relaxed about what works on here, or what catches peoples' imagination. There is room for all points of view, and not everyone gets what I'm about. Like the OP, I was just trying to highlight less known products that might be of interest, rather than criticizing anyone that's happy doing their own thing. FWIW. I find your recommendations always helpful, and spoken from a kind heart. Regards Cno

Fully understand - I was just trying to emphasise that some brands have a poor distribution network (ATC, Astintrew, Bose, Exposure to certain extent and many more). So yes, it's great to hear something a little different, away from the so-called big hitters. That said we need to be sensible and know where and when to draw the line. Speaking on a personal level, would never contemplate doing a 200 mile round trip, let's say, to Essex just because there's one product that a mag rates very highly. Probably that's why all my choices over the years have been conservative...

Know your catchment area....;)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
rare product? That's remind me of one of a dealer up north who like to use the line "rarer than a rarest steak in a steak house"
smiley-laughing.gif

If I have own a rare product, it will not be because of the rare reason! It will be because I do like the sound or someone I trust recomended to me.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
There's a lot in this. Part of the reason is that people tend to be conservative and don't trust exotics. There's also that most haven't tried exotics because of distributorship as Plastic Penguin indicates. It's also a mainstream forum, so even Totem and Exposure are exotics compared to the staples of Monitor Audio, Cambridge Audio, NAD, B&W 685 etc. Finally, many brands are simply not available in the UK, which tends to focus on local or Japanese products.

Nothing wrong with any of the above, of course, but it is a pity that some fine products, often better than the staples, get overlooked.

A

Anonymous

This is an interesting subject, but I feel that it's regional as well. I can heartily recommend a number of German manufacturers that are not so well known in Britain. Elac for example make superb speakers (although I did sell mine to buy a pair of erm... Tannoys). Here in the Netherlands, Rega would be a more 'exotic' (and expensive) brand, whereas it's more mainstream in Britain. A Dutch brand like Van Medevoort makes excellent stuff, but I don't think it's widely available over there.

All in all I'd say that it's wise to judge any hifi-product by its merits, not it's badge. Having said that, I wouldn't pass up a more exotic piece of kit, but then I wouldn't go out of my way obtaining it because it's exotic.

Jack

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Grottyash said:
CnoEvil said:
There's a lot in this. Part of the reason is that people tend to be conservative and don't trust exotics. There's also that most haven't tried exotics because of distributorship as Plastic Penguin indicates. It's also a mainstream forum, so even Totem and Exposure are exotics compared to the staples of Monitor Audio, Cambridge Audio, NAD, B&W 685 etc. Finally, many brands are simply not available in the UK, which tends to focus on local or Japanese products.

Nothing wrong with any of the above, of course, but it is a pity that some fine products, often better than the staples, get overlooked.

....Exactly!

I know that it's a merry-go-round, where a mainstream mag, recommends what people buy, who then post this info back on the forum for others to then buy.

Saying that, WHF do give a fair shot to the less mainstream products.

Products like Sugden, Electrocompaniet, Pathos and Laverdin are not that exotic, but if people have not heard of them before, they won't even check them out.

A guy on here started off looking at a Cyrus or Leema.... went with an open mind to the demos, and ended up with a Vincent Tube amp. The more money you are spending, the more important it is to be aware of what's out there.

I think it's vital that these type of products are kept alive on here, even if it's only the odd person who follows them up.....so keep plugging away. :)

Cno

A

Anonymous

Well my current kit list exluding cables/stands (not all in use) includes Exposure, NVA, Ruark, Densen, @tunes, Avondale, Samuel Johnson, Denon and Shahinian.

None bought with exotic as a plus (in fact often a concern for support etc) but based on listening following recommendations. Plus a couple of leap-buy-try. A number of smaller brands without distribution networks will allow you to try before buying for the cost of the return postage.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The main system that I've been using lately comes from 6 different countries and 4 different continents.

I have never seen a review in a UK hi-fi magazine for any of the components in this system.

I have 2 turntables, 2 passive pre-amps, 2 power amps that were never sold by dealers anywhere in the world. They were all sold direct by the manufacturers.

My 2 main pairs of speakers are 45 years old and 38 years old. They never had much of a dealer presence in the UK. They were much better known in the USA.

I strongly prefer the items that I'm using now to the items that were in my system 5 years ago - which was made up entirely of components bought from dealers which were also very well reviewed and recommended by the UK hi-fi press.

A

Anonymous

After reading through all the replies so far, it's interesting to note all the different perspectives... and i do agree that finding new products may take quite a bit of effort but in my current situation i'm really glad i went with something new. Even if that means that getting the service or support will be a pain... I too would not choose something because it is exotic, but for me it means that I will look a little bit harder when choosing my new components.

I'm not saying that I ignore mainstream products, my current set-up includes some of the kit that has been reviewed by WHF and are used by many of the posters (squeezebox, rdac etc)... but there is some satisfaction from discovering something new, that really helps me enjoy my music.... because that is what it is all about!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts