Do you buy the mag?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Paul. said:
I joined the forum because I had questions about things I couldn't find answers to. Seems odd claiming I shouldn't be here if I don't read the mag when I wanted access to the magazines readers, not the mag itself.

If there is no mag then it is very likely there is no forum.

D

Deleted member 2457

MrReaper182 said:
Paul. said:
I joined the forum because I had questions about things I couldn't find answers to. Seems odd claiming I shouldn't be here if I don't read the mag when I wanted access to the magazines readers, not the mag itself.

If there is no mag then it is very likely there is no forum.
What would we all do then? *smile*

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
I finding puzzling why people who don't buy the mag come onto the website. If you don't like the mag then why are you hear?

I bought WHF religiously every month for over a decade until I got married and started to raise a family. Those two things consumed my spare money and there was no longer any point buying a magazine devoted to telling me what new gear I couldn't afford.

I joined the forum for two reasons really, (1) to chat about hifi with like-minded hobbyists, maybe learn some things as well, and (2) believe it or not to give people advice, particularly if they have a misunderstanding about a matter I know about and I can help them.

But I quickly found out people often don't want to be told they're wrong, even if you offer a detailed courteous explanation, and instead they only want to read posts which re-affirm their misunderstanding. I continue to find that strange and I haven't come across it in the other forums I visit for my other hobbies (photography, music [creation/producing] and classic cars).

D

Deleted member 2457

I suppose the AV fans would migrate to AV forums full-time and the Hifi fans to Wigwam or something? *smile*

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
spiny norman said:
So, just keeping tabs: have we actually found anyone who does yet?

I admit that I bought copies of the french issues, for december and february, but only to practice my french.

I didn't get far because it was too much like hard work, when you can understand the key points by just looking at the pictures.

D

Deleted member 2457

expat_mike said:
spiny norman said:

I admit that I bought copies of the french issues, for december and february, but only to practice my french.

I didn't get far because it was too much like hard work, when you can understand the key points by just looking at the pictures.
That's what I used to do just look at the pictures and stars. *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
It has become the case that if you follow the website you don't need the mag. So why buy it? £30 down the pan for nothing. Then there was the HDMI cable scoundrel and Blu-Ray players all the same and no forum feedback.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew being sacked too, a lot of people especially myself got on well with Andrew. Why support a mag that does that to people?

D

Deleted member 2457

The_Lhc said:
gel said:
Andrew being sacked too, a lot of people especially myself got on well with Andrew. Why support a mag that does that to people?

I'm not sure he was sacked, have you got any evidence to back that up?
Yep, he said so on his Facebook page, 2 years ago he got a letter at work say he was no longer wanted.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gel said:
The_Lhc said:
gel said:

Yep, he said so on his Facebook page, 2 years ago he got a letter at work say he was no longer wanted.

You can understand why though, good grief...he had a long, highly-documented and very public history of knowing what he was talking about. Can't be having that.

D

Deleted member 2457

MajorFubar said:
gel said:
The_Lhc said:
gel said:

You can understand why though, good grief...he had a long, highly-documented and very public history of knowing what he was talking about. Can't be having that.
He worked for What Hifi for about 30 years or so too.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
gel said:

Occasionally I manage to find a very old thread on the Forum, in which Andrew makes various less than complimentary comments about WHF or the forum.

Increasingly companies publish internal guidelines, describing what their staff are allowed to say about the company, its strategy, confidential matters, etc, on internet forums/blogs/social networks. Saying anything non-positive about the 'brand' is a disciplinary matter.

My suspicion is that too many of Andrews comments were seen as non-positive, so it was only a matter of time, before an excuse was found to make him surplus to requirements.

The existance of such company guidelines, could also explain why so few of the other WHF staff, contribute to the forum. They know big brother is watching them.

D

Deleted member 2457

expat_mike said:
gel said:

Occasionally I manage to find a very old thread on the Forum, in which Andrew makes various less than complimentary comments about WHF or the forum.

Increasingly companies publish internal guidelines, describing what their staff are allowed to say about the company, its strategy, confidential matters, etc, on internet forums/blogs/social networks. Saying anything non-positive about the 'brand' is a disciplinary matter.

My suspicion is that too many of Andrews comments were seen as non-positive, so it was only a matter of time, before an excuse was found to make him surplus to requirements.

The existance of such company guidelines, could also explain why so few of the other WHF staff, contribute to the forum. They know big brother is watching them.
Yep, agreed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts