Do you buy the mag?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
haven't brought it for over a year and not likely to resume for now, to me at least most of the reviews of items like mobile phones, soundbars, headphones, streaming services etc have no appeal to me, I also prefer other mags like Hifi News even though most of the equipment reviewed would need a lottery win to purchase.

*music2*

D

Deleted member 2457

I was a subscriber for about 12 years on and off but haven't bought one or subscribed for about a year now. But it's nothing new for someone on here not to buy the mag. I would pay for the website though like £35 a year if it got better again.

Gray

I've bought all of the UK titles on and off for 5 decades, but have never had a subscription. (Hi-Fi Choice & Hi-Fi World have given me nice 'letter of the month' prizes so I'm biased into liking them)

WHF has always been the more populist title, in as much as you feel you could actually afford most of the stuff they review, you feel included.

Given the choice, I'd always prefer to read a hi-fi mag than view any website.

I've been on this site for less than 5 months but from what I've seen, I'd bet that 90% of the posters (certainly the regulars) are older than both the current readers and staff of WHF.

Strange then that WHF effectively hosts a site for all of its rivals readers.

I'll buy WHF again when they drop the kidstuff - so maybe never again?

MartinS21

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I used to buy every issue when it WAS a hifi magazine (startingI think in the 1970's) but it slowly got watered down with non hifi stuff & it got to the stage when I only bought odd issues now and then, in paricular to check the "buyers guide" when contemplating new equipment, but in the last issue I bought this was no longer included! So no, I no longer buy the magazine & there are more hifi dedicated magazines out there, so that is where my money will go.

Gray

MartinS21 said:
I used to buy every issue when it WAS a hifi magazine (startingI think in the 1970's) but it slowly got watered down with non hifi stuff & it got to the stage when I only bought odd issues now and then, in paricular to check the "buyers guide" when contemplating new equipment, but in the last issue I bought this was no longer included! So no, I no longer buy the magazine & there are more hifi dedicated magazines out there, so that is where my money will go.

You're right MartinS21, in the 1970s WHF was truly a hi-fi mag.

I do feel for them though, they must read all these comments and be concerned by the amount of people stating that they have, or are going to, cancel subs.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Gray said:
I do feel for them though, they must read all these comments and be concerned by the amount of people stating that they have, or are going to, cancel subs.

I doubt that half a dozen people cancelling their subscriptions is considered worrying.

Maybe a year ago, on one of the forum threads that asked why Andrew Everard no longer wrote articles for the website, I think Andy Clough (or maybe Joe Cox) stated that Andrews pages got a few views per month, but the '10 best xxxxx' type pages received over a hundred thousand views per month. It is the '10 best xxxxx' type pages that bring in the advertising money - in contrast the lost profit on half a dozen magazine subscriptions, is small beer.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MartinS21 said:
I used to buy every issue when it WAS a hifi magazine (startingI think in the 1970's) but it slowly got watered down with non hifi stuff & it got to the stage when I only bought odd issues now and then, in paricular to check the "buyers guide" when contemplating new equipment, but in the last issue I bought this was no longer included!

You must have bought one of the special editions, the buyers guide is still in the normal magazine every month.

Gray

expat_mike said:
Gray said:

I doubt that half a dozen people cancelling their subscriptions is considered worrying.

Maybe a year ago, on one of the forum threads that asked why Andrew Everard no longer wrote articles for the website, I think Andy Clough (or maybe Joe Cox) stated that Andrews pages got a few views per month, but the '10 best xxxxx' type pages received over a hundred thousand views per month. It is the '10 best xxxxx' type pages that bring in the advertising money - in contrast the lost profit on half a dozen magazine subscriptions, is small beer.

Yeah I spose you're right. I can see how the rest of their website could be extremely popular. According to my ad block counter they're making a fortune.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
jjbomber said:
MrReaper182 said:
How many people reading this site buy the mag? Be honset.

I cancelled my subscription a few months back. It's just smartphones, laptops and tablets now.

Laptops? I don't recall them ever reviewing laptops.

I think they get occasionally mentioned, in articles that describe music systems based around the computer as a music source - but not in what you would call a standard hifi review.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
the buyers guide is still in the normal magazine every month.

The buyers guide is not still in the magazine! It's been replaced with the Award winners/5 star guide, and then only the current ones.

The current pages they call "buyers guide" is a mere shadow of its former self!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
The_Lhc said:
the buyers guide is still in the normal magazine every month.

The buyers guide is not still in the magazine! It's been replaced with the Award winners/5 star guide, and then only the current ones.

The current pages they call "buyers guide" is a mere shadow of its former self!

Well, it looks like a duck...

D

Deleted member 2457

MrReaper182 said:
I finding puzzling why people who don't buy the mag come onto the website. If you don't like the mag then why are you hear?
Because it's amazing - why else? *biggrin*

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
gel said:
MrReaper182 said:
I finding puzzling why people who don't buy the mag come onto the website. If you don't like the mag then why are you hear?

But without the mag their would be no site so no matter how "amazing" site is people need to buy the mag to keep this site going if they like using it.

D

Deleted member 2457

MrReaper182 said:
gel said:
MrReaper182 said:

But without the mag their would be no site so no matter how "amazing" site is people need to buy the mag to keep this site going if they like using it.
I know people don't care that much.

Paul.

I joined the forum because I had questions about things I couldn't find answers to. Seems odd claiming I shouldn't be here if I don't read the mag when I wanted access to the magazines readers, not the mag itself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts