Do I wait for Arcam to go blu??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently upgraded my trusty Arcam AVR350 to the superb AVR600, my problem is this, I now want to go Blu!! I currently use my Arcam DV137 for both DVD and CD playback, I'm debating going for the Denon 2500bt and a seperate CD player soon after, or do I wait untill the alledged October release of the Arcam blu-ray and hope its an all rounder??

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think you may be waiting a little longer than August - the last info I heard was end of the year, so I'd expect it early next year
emotion-5.gif

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Buy a cheap Blu-ray player now and continue to use your 137 for CD and DVD playback. I'm sure the difference on blu-ray even with a cheaper player will keep you satisfied until Arcam eventually release their Blu-ray, at which time you should hopefully benefit from a step-up in quality from all formats.

A

Anonymous

I did debate going for a cheaper, temporary blu-ray player, but decided I may just be throwing money away. For the moment I'm quite happy with the 1080p upscale from the DV137, will a budget blu-ray realy improve my system over this??

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
I had for some time been in an almost identical situation. I to would like to go for an arcam blu-ray player as i feel it would be a progression from pioneer rather than a side step. Then pioneer brought out the LX91 and sony the whatever it is and i was thinking do i get the pioneer , then i was but what if the arcam is so good it's better than the pioneer etc etc etc, you know the usual mind talk when trying to make a decision. I was in the process of upgrading equipment to accommodate HD as i could not ignore it any longer and basically went the stop gap route getting an pioneer FD51. With hindsight i can say that i could quite easily have lived with DVD until the arcam makes an appearance. It's not that blu-rays not better it's just it's not that much better that you couldn't wait. I know in my mind that the FD51 won't last as long as my pioneer DVD player (7 years). So in summation i would suggest you save your money be patient and wait to see what the arcam blu-ray brings then make a decision.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
With the range of very decent BD decks in the £150 segment I would dip my feet in the water. The jump in picture and sound quality is considerable. Also, at £150 I wouldn't say that the purchase would be a "throwaway" as it would be well used in the 6+ months until Arcam releases their unit, and when the Arcam comes along you'll have a decent Blu-ray collection to enjoy on it and a very decent machine to watch these discs on a secondary tv (such as the bedroom) as well.

A

Anonymous

Or have I ?!

My local retailer was kind enough to loan me the Denon 2500bt for a week long in home demo, my finding was this......

With Bluray discs, the picture was a step in the right direction, but not a massive jump, and even less with sound. Would this be down to audio/video being carried by a single hdmi, as apposed to audio being sent by a dedicated digital coax??

As for dvd playback, it was a giant leap backwards in terms of both sound and picture, with a dvd collection of 500+, I need a bluray player to handle dvds well, as I only plan to replace my toptop faves.

So, come on Arcam, give me the player I'm waiting for, hopefully, please!!!!!!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
TrevD:My local retailer was kind enough to loan me the Denon 2500bt for a week long in home demo, my finding was this......

With Bluray discs, the picture was a step in the right direction, but not a massive jump, and even less with sound. Would this be down to audio/video being carried by a single hdmi, as apposed to audio being sent by a dedicated digital coax??

As for dvd playback, it was a giant leap backwards in terms of both sound and picture, with a dvd collection of 500+, I need a bluray player to handle dvds well, as I only plan to replace my toptop faves.

I had a DVD-2500BT and I'd agree with your comments, probably the only really disappointing WHF 5 star product I've ever bought. That's why I sold it and bought (dare I say it) the Oppo BDP-83. The SD scaling courtesy of the Anchor Bay chip is the best I've seen. Although, I suspect the CD replay won't be what you're used to from an Arcam machine, but there again I'd assume you send it digitally to the AVR600?

A

Anonymous

Hi Pete,

For CD playback, I use the analogue connection to the AVR600 cd input and the digital coax for DVD soundtracks.

While looking into Bluray, CD playback is not paramount as I'm considering a dedicate CD player.

Glad I'm not the only one dissapointed with the 2500bt, and I see you finally gave up on the 600, its a shame, but cant say I blame you after all the trouble you had.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
TrevD: Glad I'm not the only one dissapointed with the 2500bt, and I see you finally gave up on the 600, its a shame, but cant say I blame you after all the trouble you had.

£3000 is a hell of a lot of money to me, as good as it sounds, I can't help remembering how much I paid for it every time it locks-up! I expect the Z7 to be as good as, maybe even better with movies, but probably not with music. I'll have to see, but I'll have £1400 to play with after the refund and Z7 to get a dedicated stereo amp if necessary. That puts me easily in range of a Cyrus 8 XP or Naim Nait XS, so it should be nothing lost, only gains.

A

Anonymous

pete321:

£3000 is a hell of a lot of money to me, as good as it sounds, I can't help remembering how much I paid for it every time it locks-up!

I agree!! (£2k more than my previous AVR350) Touch wood, I've had no problems at all with it, maybe I'm one of the lucky ones??!! And I havn't updated firmware yet, cant connect my laptop, my brother is bringing pc thursday, hope this dosn't upset my run of 'good luck' with the 600!!

Looking forward to hear how you feel the 2 Amps compare, and if you are happy with your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts