Do i need optical connection on Virgin?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need a little clarification on this subject if you please. I have my V+ box connected to my onkyo 606 via hdmi, therefore am i getting dolby digital or not? There is no indication on my onkyo, only when i tune into BBC HD, so i'm guessing that DD can pass over hdmi yes? Is it the case that on Virgin the programmes are not transmitted in DD, and that this only applies to Sky? Help is appreciated!

A

Anonymous

Hello yes as the V+ box does not send audio from its HDMI so i have a optical cable into my sony.

Messiah

jackandy:Hello yes as the V+ box does not send audio from its HDMI so i have a optical cable into my sony.

It does send audio.

However, whether it sends DD or just stereo I cannot be sure as I do not have the facility to test this but if your amp shows up DD when watching BBC HD I guess it can.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Messiah:
jackandy:Hello yes as the V+ box does not send audio from its HDMI so i have a optical cable into my sony.

It does send audio.

However, whether it sends DD or just stereo I cannot be sure as I do not have the facility to test this but if your amp shows up DD when watching BBC HD I guess it can.

I'm pretty sure that it does do what the Sky box doesn't - digital sound through hdmi.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
No it does not send 5.1 via HDMI. To get 5.1 on "some" HD and "some" movies you need an optical cable
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have been on Virgin HD for ages but have just got a 5.1 set up with a denon 2310. I can't seem to get anything other than 2 channel over HDMI and have not yet tried optical. I was under the impression that Virgin did DD over HDMI. There seems to be no informaiton on the virgin website, although one of the automated answers denied being able to pass DD at all. There is no mention in the little video about setting up HDTV

Judging from this thread i am beginning to wonder whether

a.this may depend on the particular manufacturer or model of virgin box.

b.there migth be something wrong with the settings on my receiver

I tried phoning customer support and had diffulty getting the operator to understadn the question. Interestignly they apparently don't have TV technical support. The operator said she would try to find someone who could give me the answer, and she took my mobile number. I wonder if she will call back.

I can't believe it can be that complicated.

A

Anonymous

Hang on it worked last night when i set HDMI audio override to whatever I wasn't expecting it to be (I think it was "on".) This then provided the 100% inaccurate rubric "make sure you have your av amp connected by optical cable" (or words to that effect), which of course I didn't.

Hey presto it worked. Moral of story: if you want to output DD audio via HDMI, remember to tell the box to turn off HDMI audio and it will work a treat.

Incidentally no one did phone back from Virgin customer services. Perhaps it is all an elaborate scheme to help the customer by letting them work it out by trial and error. Or a psychology experiment. If you are listening Mr Branson, sell now.

TRENDING THREADS