Do I need Full HD to enjoy Blu-Ray?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a 50 inch HD Ready LG TV 1366 x 768 (Model:LG50PCID) and a Pioneer DCS-363 Home Cinema System that upscales to 1080i resolution. The Pioneer has a Russ Andrews PowerMax Plus mains and this runs through a Tacima CS929 Mains conditioner. DVD movies are excellent and the surround sound, although not a revelation, is in my opinion, good.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I enjoy Blu-Ray on my TV or do I need to upgrade to a Full HD set?

2. Will a Denon DVD-1940 which upscales to 1080p offer superior picture quality?

3. Will adding an external DAC improve sound quality?

Any comments would be much appreciated, thank you.

A

Anonymous

hi there, well from the sounds of things ,your pioneer home cinema system seems more than adequate as you say it upscales to 1080i already.Obviously to enjoy blu-ray you would need to purchase a player,but there are many out there that may not produce better sound or vision qualities than those you already get,and dont forget as blu ray is still fairly newish,players are still quite highly priced,and of course the blu ray dvds are more than standard dvds too.You do not need to upgrade to a full hd set to benefit from blu-ray,as i am aware full hd will be 'the next revolution',but is some way off being mainstream! As regards the denon,it may be worth having a demo at your local hi fi store-they will be more than happy to help you,but in my opinion if your tv can output 1080p then you will get better picture quality with a matching dvd player than can output the same! With the external dac ,again if you went to your local hi fi store they may demo one for you,but personally you have a very good set up already [i have the same] and i really dont think you would notice any improvments with the DAC.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:1. Can I enjoy Blu-Ray on my TV or do I need to upgrade to a Full HD set?
Yes, you can enjoy Blu-Ray on your current TV.

EvilWolf:2. Will a Denon DVD-1940 which upscales to 1080p offer superior picture quality?
Than a properly transferred and re-mastered Blu-Ray disc? No.

EvilWolf:3. Will adding an external DAC improve sound quality?
For music - possibly depending on the external DAC you're thinking of and the AV amp and speakers you own. Given you own the Pioneer system, I don't think an external DAC will make much difference as they are limiting the sound you can get.
For movies - absolutely not - I've never seen a DAC with decoders on board for Dolby Digital etc. so if you use a DAC for your movie soundtracks, you'll be downgrading to stereo!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
EvilWolf:
I have a 50 inch HD Ready LG TV 1366 x 768 (Model:LG50PCID) and a Pioneer DCS-363 Home Cinema System that upscales to 1080i resolution. The Pioneer has a Russ Andrews PowerMax Plus mains and this runs through a Tacima CS929 Mains conditioner. DVD movies are excellent and the surround sound, although not a revelation, is in my opinion, good.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can I enjoy Blu-Ray on my TV or do I need to upgrade to a Full HD set?

2. Will a Denon DVD-1940 which upscales to 1080p offer superior picture quality?

3. Will adding an external DAC improve sound quality?

Any comments would be much appreciated, thank you.

The Denon will offer a much better picture than your current cinema system dvd player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts