Do I need a pre amp ?

dbaylin

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm after some advice please.

im new to all this hifi stuff but I'm trying to get into vinyl.

so far I have a pair of B&W Dm100i speakers and a Cambridge Audio A1 Mk3 amp.

im looking to buy a thorens TT and was wondering firstly, are the stuff I have any good and second , do I need a pre amp to run the TT ?

im trying to do it all on the cheep side, so far it cost me £50.

Cheers

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that amp has a phono stage which you will need for a TT, you can buy one as a stand alone unit to add to your amp from not much money, have a look at Superfi or some where like that.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Basicqlly yes that does help! If your amp has a dedicated phono input it will then be able to apply the correct equalisation to the output from the turntable so no need for any other kit :)

Not sure of your TT but mine came with a line level output anyway so it just goers straight into an AUX input.

If you are not sure try the TT into an AUX input 1st, any will do CD TUNER etc if the sound is really low volume and sounds just rubbish then try it in the PHONO input and it should sound better. Putting a line level source into the PHONO input is not a good idea hence the advice to go AUX first.

Cheers

Tommo

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
dbaylin said:
There is a setting that says phono, does that help at all ?

Depends! On your particular amp, unless the amp has the optional phono-board fitted, the Phono input is just a line-input like the others, so you would still need a phono pre-amp.

Set the input to Phono and whack the volume up, make sure ther's NOTHING connected to the Phono inputs. If you hear substantially more background hiss than on the other inputs, chances are it does have the optional phono-board fitted.

dbaylin

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes I tried doing that before today and I thought there was something wrong with the amp. It's did make a background hiss that seamed louder than it should. That's a good thing right?

i don't have a TT yet so can't try with one. But I might be able to just plug and play now by the sound of things right?

thanks tommo will try your suggestions too.

dbaylin

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just an update on my problem, I bought a cheep (£10) TT , its a Technics SL-D20 with an
audio-technica AT112EP cartridge.I plugged it in and it works Great and sounds really nice.Thanks for the advise people. Also is this cartridge any good or is it worth upgrading ?cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts