Do i need a optical lead ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have sky hd box and hdmi lead comming from it, just wanted to know if i need a optical lead as well for better sound, i am running it into yamaha AXP-AX763 av amp ,thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
nick46:I have sky hd box and hdmi lead comming from it, just wanted to know if i need a optical lead as well for better sound, i am running it into yamaha AXP-AX763 av amp ,thanks

If you want Dolby Digital 5.1 from your Sky box, you will need an optical lead - hdmi on Sky only gives you stereo sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks , will i need a optical lead from my amp to my tv also, or will the hdmi lead do this ?

A

Anonymous

Thank you claire, are opitical leads standard or do you recommend any certain make?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your help ( great mag, really helpful, helped me choose all my stuff)

A

Anonymous

one more question will i need to change any settings to sky or av amp

A

Anonymous

Clare just a question, you say he needs single HDMI lead from the amp to the TV. I have Sky HD also connected to TV by HMDI then by optical to amp, i dont have a HMDI lead from amp and still getting DD 5.1. So why does he need HMDI from amp to TV.

A

Anonymous

dazb:Clare just a question, you say he needs single HDMI lead from the amp to the TV. I have Sky HD also connected to TV by HMDI then by optical to amp, i dont have a HMDI lead from amp and still getting DD 5.1. So why does he need HMDI from amp to TV.
As Clare is not here I will try to explain

It is optional but, one of the main reasons people buy these AV amps is for AV switching. Basically you just need one HDMI connection from receiver (HDMI out) to TV.

Then when you add a Sky box, you connect it to receiver (HDMI & Optical). If you have a BD player you connect it to the receiver with just one HDMI.

Then when you select SAT on your receiver it outputs the sky HD optical sound through speakers and HDMI video to the TV automatically.

Then when you select BD player on the reveiver, it selects the HDMI (video & sound) input from the BD player, outputs the sound through speakers and video (through the same HDMI cable as sky) to the TV.

It is convenience really

Boo

A

Anonymous

Well seeing that i only have 1 HMDI slot on my Sky HD Box i cant see a way around it. Currently i use HMDI2 for my Sky Picture then DTV for freeview and then normal analogue. I have 3 HMDI slot on my Yamaha RX-363 Amp those are Out DVD and DTV/CBL. Thanks for the input.

A

Anonymous

I think you misread my post.

I understand that the SKY-HD box only has one HDMI. Connect this to the receiver input as you have already together with the optical cable. On the Sky menu select optical out for sound. On the receiver menu for this input select HDMI video and optical sound.

Connect the HDMI output from the receiver to the TV input (this will look after all your connections to TV)

When you say freeview, is it built into the tv or a seperate box. If its the former, use an optical output from tv to optical input on receiver. If its the latter, has the box got a HDMI or component or just video?

Boo

A

Anonymous

Boo heres my current setup so we dont get confused. Sky HD connected to TV via HMDI the conncted to my Yamaha Amp RX-363 by optical out. Now ive just connected the amp to the TV by HMDI from the out slot on the amp. So as we speak i can only control the Built in freeview and the analogue using AD on my TV Remote. I am still not able to watch the Sky on the same button, i have to watch that on HMDI2. Hope that explains things.

A

Anonymous

Not sure how that can work. My Tv only has 2 HMDI slots, . I thought you had to connect your Sky Box to the HMDI slot on your TV. So how do you go about connecting to the amp and in which slots. I already have the out slot on the amp connected to the TV all i have left is 2 slots which are DVD and DTV/CBL.

daveh75

right so at present you have the amp connected from the "hdmi out" on the amp to the tv and the sky also connected to the tv also. all you need to do is take the sky hdmi out of the tv and connect it to either of the hdmi inputs on your amp, the dtv/cable preferably but doesn't matter

A

Anonymous

Ive tried that daveh but once i do that i dont get a sky picture. All i can hear is the sound of the sky channel i get no picture.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...And an HDMI cable from amp to TV? In which case I'd suggest that input is configured to accept video from something other than HDMI - you probably need to go back to the manual and check set-up.

The optical lead from the Sky+HD should run to the amp, not from TV to the amp, but if you want TV sound through the amp too, for example while watching programmes broadcast terrestrially, you'll need a second optical link from TV to amp.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the info Andrew but ill leave the it has it is. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I do not know what you mean by saying you have only 2 HDMIs on your tv when what I suggested means you only need one.

You have 3 HDMI sockets on your amp. One is for output to your TV. The other two are imputs. Connect the output one to your TV. Plug your HDMI from SKY-HD into one of the imputs. Leave the optical audio as you have it. Connect any other audio/video to receiver HDMI, component, composite, optical etc. Then assign the inputs for various devices connected. Your manual will explain how.

If of course you would rather leave it the way it is. That is fine. It is your receiver. Several people here have tried to explain to you and your choice is to ignore them. I hope somebody else here will benifit from the answers given here.

Boo

Cliff1

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
boopolo:

I do not know what you mean by saying you have only 2 HDMIs on your tv when what I suggested means you only need one.

You have 3 HDMI sockets on your amp. One is for output to your TV. The other two are imputs. Connect the output one to your TV. Plug your HDMI from SKY-HD into one of the imputs. Leave the optical audio as you have it. Connect any other audio/video to receiver HDMI, component, composite, optical etc. Then assign the inputs for various devices connected. Your manual will explain how.

If of course you would rather leave it the way it is. That is fine. It is your receiver. Several people here have tried to explain to you and your choice is to ignore them. I hope somebody else here will benifit from the answers given here.

Boo

I for one found the answers given very straight forward & easy to follow,my thanks.

I do have what could sound like a silly question. to anyone familiar with HDMI. I at present have HDMI sockets on the DVD player & the DVD/HARD disc recorder,these aren't used because my current amp & tv don't have HDMI sockets..It's connected to a couple of freeview boxes via scart leads & co-ax & optical audio leads..

I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic HD TV with freesat & a new amp.My problem is the scart leads,whatever i read about HDMI refers to HD, but at the same time seems to say that HDMI replaces the scart leads.It's the reference to H.Definition that's confusing me.

As i will for the time being only be watching freeview TV,will i be able to remove all the scart leads from the set up once i connect via HDMI cables.

If i can't do this i will just be adding more cable to the mass of cables already there.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Cliff1:boopolo:

Boo

I for one found the answers given very straight forward & easy to follow,my thanks.

I do have what could sound like a silly question. to anyone familiar with HDMI. I at present have HDMI sockets on the DVD player & the DVD/HARD disc recorder,these aren't used because my current amp & tv don't have HDMI sockets..It's connected to a couple of freeview boxes via scart leads & co-ax & optical audio leads..

I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic HD TV with freesat & a new amp.My problem is the scart leads,whatever i read about HDMI refers to HD, but at the same time seems to say that HDMI replaces the scart leads.It's the reference to H.Definition that's confusing me.

As i will for the time being only be watching freeview TV,will i be able to remove all the scart leads from the set up once i connect via HDMI cables.

If i can't do this i will just be adding more cable to the mass of cables already there.

If you buy the Panasonic freesat screen, you can connect your amp to the tv by optical or coaxial for surround sound. You can also connect your dvd player and HDD dvd player to the screen by hdmi and again coaxial or optical from dvd players to the amp. No scarts needed. This will give you freesat sound from your amp, sound and video from your dvd players.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts