Do I need a different Phono Stage?

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I have a Pro-Ject Xperience X Pack turntable fitted with an Ortofon Rondon Red MC Cartridge which I have connected to a Graham Slee Gramp Amp 2 SE. Is this the correct phono stage to use? The thing that concerns me is that the Gram Amp SE is for use with either a MM cartridge or a high gain MC. I am pretty sure that the Rondo Red is a low gain MC cartridge. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Just did a quick check and it looks like you're right. You could buy a step-up amplifier and use the Graham Slee, but you might be better off buying a Trichord Dino II which, apart from being an excellent phono stage, is more configurable than most.

The other thought would be the Clearaudio Nano which has a variable gain control, but, not having heard one, can't comment on the quality.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Tarquinh:

Just did a quick check and it looks like you're right. You could buy a step-up amplifier and use the Graham Slee, but you might be better off buying a Trichord Dino II which, apart from being an excellent phono stage, is more configurable than most.

The other thought would be the Clearaudio Nano which has a variable gain control, but, not having heard one, can't comment on the quality.
emotion-21.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The Whest is a very good phono stage but may just be overkill tbh, if you like what the Graham Slee does then you probably will not be disappointed with the Reflex but the Dino is nice and flexible and a good price and leaves a few quid to feed the vinyl fix!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
5cats35:
Thanks for those. Has anybody got any thoughts on the Graham Slee Reflex C or Whest Audio - WhestTwo?
Hi, I have just recently bought a new phono stage. I was thinking of buying the graham slee Gram 2 initially but I ended up with the Trichord Dino MK1. It's a brilliant phono stage. I am currently using a 2M red but the dino can handle your rondo red MC with ajustments to the cartridge loading and amplifier gain dip switches at the bottom. Things I noticed with the dino in my system: wide open soundstage, a crisp top end and a honest bottom end. I think with your cartridge the results will be fantastic. I am not saying that the graham slee reflex will not do the job, I am sure it will but from my experience with the Dino- I recommend it 100%. I got my dino at a steal for £138.00 on ebay, and it is like new :) Hope this helps a bit

5cats35

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks gbh.

I note that you have been waxing lyrical about it (no pun intended!) I might just give the mkII a try on 30 day appro!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
5cats35:
Thanks gbh.

I note that you have been waxing lyrical about it (no pun intended!) I might just give the mkII a try on 30 day appro!
Yeah- it definitely worth a try. I am sure you won't be disappointed as some people on the forum will vouch for Dino

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts