Do I need a DAP?

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I have never used a digital audio player but got a bit intrigued to see a local dealer selling DAPs like FIIO and Sony at quite attractive prices. Dont have options of testing them out cause they are doing 100% online sales at the moment.

I listen to my music using my iPhone or MacBook with a topping NX4S DAC+amplifier in the middle. Music sources are TIDAL HiFi and PLEX (lossless FLACs of all my CDs stored on a NAS). I have a HiFiMan Sundara coming in this weekend which will eventually be the primary headphones.

Now I know quality is a bit subjective and to be honest, not sure if I can add anything to the music quality other than a "better" quality DAC with a DAP like FIIO M11. Still checking in with people who have more experience.

Fahad

Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
Would you not be better off financially by replacing the Topping in your system with a better DAC / headphone amplifier, like the one below, rather than spending out on a DAP itself?

I know, that's what I was thinking. I was just wondering that considering everyone has a phone and a computer and adding a good DAC financially makes more sense, why is there a market for such expensive DAPs?

For the FIIO, it was a choice between that one and the topping, went for topping, having never heard the FIIO, I just went by the opinion of the dealer. I do like it though. But I know somebody who has the FIIO you just mentioned. Maybe will try it out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts