do i need a blu ray player or is ps3/ps4 good enough??

danwhite0085

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
hello there guys.

I’m new to all this and have recently purchased the Dali zensor 1 5.1. its my first decent surround sound but I am finding it a little difficult to keep up with everything that comes with it, i.e. getting the best from my system. the latest dilemma I’m facing is blu ray players. should I buy a blu ray player or just use my ps3 or ps4? if it does make a difference purchasing a blu ray player instead can you tell me how and also is there any recommendations on which blu ray player to buy? would really appreciate some help with this. thanks a lot.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
ps3 is a very good bluray player, quick to load plus regular software updates to keep up with latest releases.

ps4 on the other hand is a complete mess, when first released it couldn't even play bluray movies, even now after many software updates it is still painfully slow at loading discs.

even though I own both consoles, I still brought a separate bluray player because in my opinion it produces better picture and sound quality than a games console.

Having demoed PS3, Denon 2500BT, Oppo 103D and Panasonic BD60, I haven't found any difference in blu ray picture quality. PS3 fan can be noisy, the main reason for me to go for a separate player. See if you can live with the fan noise.

danwhite0085

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
thanks big boss.

I’m glad you decided to quote on this matter as I have read a few of your own posts and respect your opinion.

that cinema room you have built is absolutely amazing. I’m so jealous. out of curiosity mate how much in total did that all cost you??

AmberBeda

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
As I know, PS 3 can work as a good Blu-ray player
shades_smile.gif

buzz_lightclick

Personally found the PS3 too noisy to be used as a blu ray player. My PS3 slim 320GB console seemed to have quite a noisy fan which was too distracting. My original phat PS3 80Gb was quieter but long since sold. Now have an Xbox One but not tried watching a film on it yet. My Oppo is silent *biggrin* unless the menu is loading.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JJ said:
Hey Doc,

You must be blind - better get to SpecSavers pronto!

What a silly thing to say.

If you watch a Blu Ray via HDMI then whichever player you use, the AV amp/receiver is getting the same digital stream. It really makes no difference to the picture unless the player does some post-processing with it before sending. Which I'd rather it didn't.

The only reason to spend more is for build quality, features, DVD upscaling, Analogue output and of course fan noise..which can be a problem for some.

I find the fan in the XBOX one is inaudible when watching a film, so I use that. Previously I used my PS3.

I did stupidly buy a 5 star Panasonic a few years ago... It didn't play all the disks (The consoles are very quick to get updates), it was far slower at loading, and it cost me more than a brand new PS3 at the time...Ended up sat in the garage gathering dust.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:
JJ said:
Hey Doc,

You must be blind - better get to SpecSavers pronto!

Been to the Opticians only last week. Vision is 6/5, which is better than most population. :)

Have you had laser eye surgery?
I need laser eye surgery my medication has blurred my vision and now I have to wear glasses. *secret*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts