Do I just give up?

ian500

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
System: Screenplay 5700, Tag Mclaren DVD32r, ArcamFMJAV8 processor, Tag Maclaren power amp, M&K LCR850 surrounds. (My trusty HiFi: Arcam Alpha CD player, Audiolab 8000a integrated amp and KEF reference speakers.

I need to make a big decision (well for me it is) and I really need some independent expertise from the forum to help me make the right choice.

I bought the cinema system back in 2004 and with several moves abroad I have only had about 400 hours of viewing time out of it. The main reason for this is that most of the places that I have ended up renting just dont have the room. When set up it gives a fantastic experience but, following yet another move, I once again find myself in a flat with not enough room for the system.

Anyway, my wife and I recently bought a holiday home and I have an opportunity to set up a cinema system outside so the questions for you experts out there are:

1. Is it worth me trying to set up this system up to run outside (I will change the speakers as I want them to remain outside) or have things moved on so much now that I should just look to get a newer/simpler alternative and sell the system?

2. Should I use some of the components as part of a higher-end HiFi set up? I am planning to buy a new turntable and rediscover my record collection - although the Audiolab 8000a is still a cracker.

Thanks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ian500 said:
... I have an opportunity to set up a cinema system outside so the questions for you experts out there are:

1. Is it worth me trying to set up this system up to run outside (I will change the speakers as I want them to remain outside) ...

What does 'outside' mean in this case? Outdoors? (It's how it reads to me, sorry.) Outdoors but under a cover? On a trolley you can bring inside if it rains?

If so, how is that ever going to work?

Again, sorry in advance if I am being thick.

ian500

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
No problem Chebby, yes, outside - outdoors; I am also building a swimming pool and at the same time will be putting in the wiring/conduit for the projector and speakers etc. The equipment will be housed in utility room next to the pool. I know the Screenplay has the brightness for early evening viewing as I have used it outdoors before but perhaps there are better options these days - I am not up to date.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts