Do Audio USB cables require burn in time?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

davemartin01 said:
I wonder how many people such as the OP who have spent a fortune on boutique USB cables for HI-FI will not think twice about using a stock cheapo USB to transfer exactly and perfectly many GB's of data for back up to an external HDD or perhaps won't even consider when using a stock cheapo mini USB for perfect digital data transfer of RAW images from cameras etc etc but when it comes to hi fi it suddenly becomes an issue and suddenly the laws change because it is hi fi and magazine reviews push expensive cables and people get insecure and restless.

Well said

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Ah, the old 'does a better USB cable make the words more eloquent when fed to a printer?' saw...

Perhaps it keeps cropping up because it is very valid point Andrew. I was more referring to the state of mind that hi fi places people in regarding what their choice of cables are. I think people are on edge when it comes to digital transfer for hi fi but will not even consider it an issue when transferring other digital information and always expect it to work perfectly.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
Ah, the old 'does a better USB cable make the words more eloquent when fed to a printer?' saw...

1.m Wireworld Ultraviolet USB is about £44.95

1m standard USB cable is £1.58

How much markup does the cheap cable have compare to the expensive cable i wonder.

Do you beleive a more expensive cable such as a Wireworld Ultraviolet USB which is about 28.4 times more expensive than a normal cable will make the sound superior compared to a normal USB cable.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FirstAid said:
The more man clings to religion, the more he believes. The more he believes, the less he knows. The less he knows, the more stupid he is. The more stupid, the easier he can be governed! The easier to govern, the better he may be exploited. The more exploited, the poorer he gets. The poorer he gets, the richer and mightier the domineering classes get, the more riches and power they amass, the heavier their yoke upon the neck of the people.

It makes as much sense as the majority of this thread. :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hifiscore said:
Andrew Everard said:

How much markup does the cheap cable have compare to the expensive cable i wonder.

Do you beleive a more expensive cable such as a Wireworld Ultraviolet USB which is about 28.4 times more expensive than a normal cable will make the sound superior compared to a normal USB cable.

And I suppose you have tried both? This sort of thing annoys me. The OP said from the outset that he has heard clear differences and then he is inundated with people telling him that it's impossible. I have heard differences with digital coaxial and optical. My brother-in-law has seen clear differences with hdmi cables but if you say it's impossible, we must all be wrong.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hifiscore said:

It isn't a matter of belief.

However, not having tried the comparison for myself, I am unable to comment either way.

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
No matter what the quality of inputs, and no matter what length they are, I have yet to find any difference between cable debates.

nice one chebby!
smiley-smile.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
davemartin01 said:
Perhaps it keeps cropping up because it is very valid point Andrew. I was more referring to the state of mind that hi fi places people in regarding what their choice of cables are. I think people are on edge when it comes to digital transfer for hi fi but will not even consider it an issue when transferring other digital information and always expect it to work perfectly.

There's a lot of cod psychology being spouted in this thread: 'state of mind', 'beleive (sic)' and of course the inevitable references to religion. But the very valid point overlooks the fact that streaming music is, by its very nature, happening in real time, whereas no-one really notices if it takes a moment or two for data to be streamed to a printer (for example), checked and then used.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails said:
hifiscore said:
Andrew Everard said:

And I suppose you have tried both? This sort of thing annoys me. The OP said from the outset that he has heard clear differences and then he is inundated with people telling him that it's impossible. I have heard differences with digital coaxial and optical. My brother-in-law has seen clear differences with hdmi cables but if you say it's impossible, we must all be wrong.

I the difference you mentioned with HDMI are a terrible broken picture say or no picture at all, then i agree, but cables that give deeper blacks, strong colour is just nonsense. And the same with sound.

USB comms is bdirectional. ie 2 ways. if packets dont get to the device it sgnals back to the host and its resent, if the data still does arrive intact then the comms will time out and halt most likely with a cyclic redundancy error of some sort. So in this case the data either does get there intact or it doesnt there are no inbetweens.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
No matter what the quality of inputs, and no matter what length they are, I have yet to find any difference between cable debates.

:D :D

I think it should be known as "Chebby's Law", and be compulsory in GCSE philosophy.

It's up there with Pythagoras!

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
But the very valid point overlooks the fact that streaming music is, by its very nature, happening in real time, whereas no-one really notices if it takes a moment or two for data to be streamed to a printer (for example), checked and then used.

Is not data transfer using USB from any source whether pc -> HDD or Camera -> HDD happening in real time also Andrew? I am still on the USB data transfer as per the thread of course, but what difference is there? I'm not sure I understand your point to be honest. I fully support the facts of the source or destination having effects but the link between I am not sure I understand what you are getting at.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As I said, I have done insufficient listening to various USB cables – life's too short, and there are too many other variables to consider – to have a definite view on the efficacy or otherwise of 'improved' cables.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
hifiscore said:
Gerrardasnails said:
hifiscore said:
Andrew Everard said:

I the difference you mentioned with HDMI are a terrible broken picture say or no picture at all, then i agree, but cables that give deeper blacks, strong colour is just nonsense. And the same with sound.

USB comms is bdirectional. ie 2 ways. if packets dont get to the device it sgnals back to the host and its resent, if the data still does arrive intact then the comms will time out and halt most likely with a cyclic redundancy error of some sort. So in this case the data either does get there intact or it doesnt there are no inbetweens.

No I meant good 1080p picture and excellent 1080p picture. I will tell him to get down the opticians, I will get my ears syringed and the mag should inform recent Big Question guests to get check ups too. We are all wrong and ye who hasnt actually tried different cables is right because it says so in your Physics book.

Potts

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Gerrardasnails said:
hifiscore said:
Andrew Everard said:

Thanks Gerrardasnails
smiley-smile.gif

I gave the Ultraviolet a few hours listening and didn't enjoy the sound at all (boomy, closed top end, harsh on the ears, less detail), although I did feel that it pushed vocals out a little more. Upon switching back to the stock cable, I didn't even need 10 minutes to hear that I prefered the sound the stock gave. I even swapped them back and forth a few times and it was a clear difference.

I've got different length runs of USB cables at home, and I'm sure that a 2m run sounds far better than my 5m run... So I was totally open to trying a more expensive USB.

To the other guys... I think if I was more inclined to 'want to' hear a difference, having just spent £50... surely my bias would sway more towards it sounding better? I just thought... as with many hi-fi cables, the Wireworld might have needed a bit longer to open up than the few hours I had given it.

My apologies for opening up another USB cable debate!
smiley-innocent.gif

A

Anonymous

Potts said:
... as with many hi-fi cables, the Wireworld might have needed a bit longer to open up than the few hours I had given it.

My apologies for opening up another USB cable debate!
Fair enough up to the point I've quoted. No cables burn in, it's simply not possible. Also very easy to test that such is the case, though for reasons I can only guess at no-one wants to.

A

Anonymous

I find this subject laughable..

Whats worse is the cost of such cables. I hate to offend people, but please stop wasting your hard earned money.. a USB cable is is a USB cable. Even Wikipedia will tell the layman exactly what they need to know...

To all of you know-it-all, sarcastic repliers (to this and similar threads) - shame on

you! Of course there can be a LOT of variability in the sound USB and other digital cables,

just 'cause you are close minded on this topic don't ridicule others with open minds.

See: Uptone Regen, AQ Jitterbug, Curious Cables, Furutech, Audio Sensibility, etc etc.

etc. etc. etc. Kudos to Andrew for being one of the voices of reason here!

...just continue to bury your heads in the sand with your know-it-all logic and sully forums like this!

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...how about you go f**k off from whence you came instead of making offensive provocative first posts on a thread which had been dead for over four and a half years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts