Do amps need sevicing?

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I have a 10 year old Roksan Caspian MK1 integrated amp and was wondering if it was necessary to sevice it? What is likely, if anything, to not be working properly?

cse:I have a 10 year old Roksan Caspian MK1 integrated amp and was wondering if it was necessary to sevice it? What is likely, if anything, to not be working properly?

Depends on whether the sound has altered over the years? Once I asked the same question to a sage retailer, and he said: "If it sounds ok and sings like a canary, leave it. . ." I suppose what he meant was 'if it ain't broke. . .'

A

Anonymous

other then noise in switches and volume control there is not much to go wrong.

As said above, if it aint broke don't fix it.

A

Anonymous

I got the same "if it ain't broke" response from someone infamous at AVI over my 15 year old preamp. I think capacitors can degrade over time but how much it affects the sound I don't know. Maybe a consideration on something 20 years old like my old Quad 405.

SteveR750

The most likley culprit is dirty pots, which usually results in crackles and imbalance between L and R channelks as the volume knob is rotated. After all 10 years of dust falling through the air vents has to end up going somewhere....

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750:The most likley culprit is dirty pots, which usually results in crackles and imbalance between L and R channelks as the volume knob is rotated. After all 10 years of dust falling through the air vents has to end up going somewhere....

That's something I've wondered about. I've considered opening the case on an old amp just to vacuum up the dust...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts