DNM vs Atlas hyper 2.0 to reduce brightness in treble and increase in bass

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
On some tracks I feel that my Cyrus 8xpd is bit bright in treble so wondering if replacing my vdh cs122 with either DNM or Atlas hyper 2.0 will achieve the desired result. I just want reduce slight brightness in treble and retain the bass or possibly increase it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
VDH isn't a bright cable, so I'm not sure Atlas will help (though its bass may be better). That leaves DNM as a possibility, but even though it's a smooth sounding cable, I don't know how it compares with VDH.

T

the record spot

Try shifting the position of your speakers around slightly (if you can), before lashing the cash on the cables - the former often yields far more noticeable improvements than the latter.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Record spot, I've already tried adjusting speakers and it helped with bass delivery I also added PSX-R and that had a significant effect in overall balance and bass control. My major issue is slight brightness in treble so if I can find a perfect cable which can resolve this issue without sacrificing the bass delivery then that would be great.

On some previous posts I have read that DNM will help taking away the brightness from treble but at the expense of bass, while Atlas hyper 2.0 will retain the bass but not as effective in reducing the harshness in treble as DNM. I can't test either via dealer hence need advice on personal experience.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I think what Record Spot is trying to say is that you should try to change the angle of toe in and not the distance from the side or rear walls. I find the treble is better focused when toed in and sounds less bright than when the speakers are not angled. A very effective and free solution, give it a shot.

Hope this helps,

Shafin

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
shafesk said:
I think what Record Spot is trying to say is that you should try to change the angle of toe in and not the distance from the side or rear walls. I find the treble is better focused when toed in and sounds less bright than when the speakers are not angled. A very effective and free solution, give it a shot.

Hope this helps,

Shafin

looks like your speakers suffer from severe lobing artifacts. brighter and muddled sound off axis an indicator. that's really not a welcome feature in any speakers. well designed front projecting speakers should loose energy gradually as you move away from the centre. so should be brightest sounding on axis.

sorry, I know it's off topic. :)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
anoter on off topic. :)

I see Zubkabera that you've got quite similar set-up to what I used to have. I had Focus 110 driven by Pathos Classic One. you use Cyrus amp. now you've got AVIs too. what are the differences in presentation from your passive and active rig?

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Oldric,

I boought my Cyrus and Dynaudio focus 110 before I bought AVIs if I had heard the AVIs in a proper setup earlier I wouldn't have bought cyrus/dyn that's a great compliment to AVIs but having said that I must admit that I find that althought AVIs are extremely good value for money but not complete without a sub which I don't have yet.

Compared to my Cyrus/Dyn setup I miss the bass extension specially in mid-range and a little more weight in acoustics for e.g. Guitar string sound a bit natural compared to what Cyrus/dyn offer which I prefer. If you like Acoutics/pop etc then AVIs are as good as Cyrus/Dyn but if you listen to Armin van Buuren then you miss little bit more oomps in bass extension :) . Unfortunately I don't have space for sub in my living room otherwise I would have bought it.

So I think it's just a matter of personal taste and genre of music you listen, but in my view AVIs with Sub offer great value compared to Cyrus/Dyn which are more then twice the price.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Zubkabera said:
Hi Oldric,

I boought my Cyrus and Dynaudio focus 110 before I bought AVIs if I had heard the AVIs in a proper setup earlier I wouldn't have bought cyrus/dyn that's a great compliment to AVIs but having said that I must admit that I find that althought AVIs are extremely good value for money but not complete without a sub which I don't have yet.

Compared to my Cyrus/Dyn setup I miss the bass extension specially in mid-range and a little more weight in acoustics for e.g. Guitar string sound a bit natural compared to what Cyrus/dyn offer which I prefer. If you like Acoutics/pop etc then AVIs are as good as Cyrus/Dyn but if you listen to Armin van Buuren then you miss little bit more oomps in bass extension :) . Unfortunately I don't have space for sub in my living room otherwise I would have bought it.

So I think it's just a matter of personal taste and genre of music you listen, but in my view AVIs with Sub offer great value compared to Cyrus/Dyn which are more then twice the price.

thanks for you thoughts. I'd certainly like to listen to those AVIs at one point only to find out what it's all the fuss about. unfortunately, I know it'll not happen any time soon as I'll have to organise a trip to UK :), which is not in my plans ATM. your post pretty nicely goes in hand with my theoretical knowledge; active is better than passive but well designed passive doesn't have to be a total dog by comparison.

sooner or later I'll listen to AVIs. but having read your post I'm getting more convinced that it's very unlikely I'll be smitten by their performance (but who knows, I may be wrong). IMHO I've got a very decently performing passive system. and in many ways I find Magnepans a worthwhile step-up over Dyns.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts