DNLA advice please

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have with limited success streamed from windows media player to a bluray, but I am awaiting delivery of a Monitor Audio a100. This is a very straight forward unit if one is using apple products, but i am not. I am trying to figure out a good third party DNLA application. Google is generally helpful but I think I am out of my depth with this one.

I think I should download "Twonky" to my pc (I want to stream FLAC to my amp). If I do this do I then use Twonky as my media player or could I use "musicbee" and sort of cast?

I realise that this is very basic to some , and it probably would be frustrating to try and explain it all, but if anyone could even point me in the direction of sorting this out (with small simple words :) ) I would appreciate it, Thanks

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I am replying to my own qyestion because if someone is as unknowledgeable about this stuff maybe my experience may help. As you can see there was no reply so maybe it's to basic for most, but if it helps anyone it be worth 5 mins of my time.

Without getting techy, If you buy an item that is DNLA complient, it should in theory be able to talk to other DNLA complient items on the same wifi network.

So, for those of you operating a windows computer, windows media player 12 is a DNLA complient audio program. I use a very good program called Musicbee.

So, i have a sony bluray player, a BDP5500. It is DNLA complient. When I turn this on there is a media server section. If I turn on my computer and open up windows media player 12, or musicbee, the bluray player media server section sees my computer and a server icon shows up. If you open this you can play music that is on the computer throught the bluray. Sometimes you can control directly from the bluray, other times you got to send the music from the computer to the bluray, depends on the program you are using.

As I recently bought a Monitor Audio A100, it also being DNL complient, I can play music from windows media player 12 or Musicbee by just telling the player where to send the music (this choice is the computers music card, or whichever DNLA complient item you decide). I am now streaming FLAC from my laptop to my amp as I am typing this.

-For those interested I was able to go one step further. In a different room than my monitor audio, I have a marantz amp set up with a chromecast plugged into it. The chromecast is not DNLA complient but is on the same wifi network. Using my Android phone I downloaded an app called BubbleUPnP. This is a free app but with limitations, to unlock the limits costs a few euro. This puts my phone onto the DNLA network, and also treats the chromecast as if it was a DNLA complient item, it just adds it to the list of devices where you can send your music. This basically allows me to use my phone as a remote. I open the app, select a server (musicbee or windows media player in my case). I can select an album from here and send it to any DNLA complient device or my chromecast, so basically I can have my computer on and send music anywhere I decide to play around the house. The options are plenty. I hope this helps someone (I am not very techy, so If I can set this up, most can)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts