DM37DAB - big jumps in volume between increments - any way around it?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just purchased a Denon DM37DAB with a pair of Tannoy F1s this weekend. Over all I'm really quite enjoying it.

However, the jumps in volume around 7,8, and 9 (depending on the music) are starting to drive me mildly nuts. It can go from being slightly too quiet to slightly too loud in one jump. Both ways I'm have to fight the strong urge to grab the volume control!

Are all units of this class like this?

Perhaps I'm more used to my old Marantz amp with it's motor driven analogue volume control (you can always reach for the knob for the fine control). Although aren't decibel based increments the norm these days for digital volume control? Ie. shouldn't the perceived jumps be constant?

Is there anything I can do about it?

Could it be the speaker matching?

Or is it the cable? (Ok really clutching at straws here - but I did just go for the 99p stuff from richer sounds while I hunt out a good price on factory terminated Chord Carnival Silverscreen.)

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

http://null/members/simel.aspx

simel, I raised the exact question several day's ago please search for:-

My DM37 Micro Hi-Fi Review (Volume steps are too large)

You would have thought there would have been many steps so that you could adjust it to the required volume or like you said have a motorised analogue volume control, especially on a hi-fi from denon

A

Anonymous

Hi Garyjos

Ah, sorry, I didn't see your thread there. Good stuff. I agree with you about the volume need to apprecate the sound quality. This system has almost shot itself in the foot with this weakness. I'm currently trying to work out whether it is a complete showstopper.... Having great sound quality and features is no use if the volume control is like taming a wild horse.

I wonder if Denon would be able to offer a mod/fix/patch for this? Are there any internal pots that can be tweaked, or software upgrades?

A

Anonymous

simel, I do not know if there would be a fix for this as it should have been correct in the first place, you could contact denon and see what they have to say

A

Anonymous

Garyjos, I've just logged a query with Denon Product Support, so hopefully we'll hear what they have to say in the not too distant future.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts