admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi, im looking to get a new tv soon somewhere in the range of 46"-50", ive been looking alot at the DLP tvs and in particular the samsung ones such as the SP-50L6HD , does this tv have 1080p or 1080i though? i have seen some other DLP tvs that have 1080i but not 1080p, does it make that much difference to the picture quality? i will be playing sky+ and PS3 through it and so i want something that will play to a high quality, any advice on which tv would be good to get for an affordable price or any other dlps i shud look at, or an answer to any of my questions?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Once, not so long ago, rear-projection TVs such as this were a budget way of getting a big screen. Now, with plasma prices in freefall to the point where you can buy an HD-ready 1080i-capable true flatscreen for £1000 or not much more, rear-projection TVs such as the Samsung DLPs, excellent though they are, look a bit dinosaur-like.

They're bulkier, they have to be used on stands - no way you're going to hang them on the wall! - and they have lamp life expectancy similar to conventional projectors (which given they're a projector shining onto the back of a screen via a mirror is hardly surprising). That means something in the region of a couple of hundred quid (if you're lucky) for a new lamp after 2000-3000 hours' use (again, if you're lucky). So with four hours's use a night, you could be into a new lamp after around 18 months to two years.

The plasma should still be going in about 20 years' time.

Rant mode now off.

No, 1080i/1080p won't make any difference with Sky+, or indeed Sky HD, but may with the PS3, with those games output in 1080P. They'll still work fine into a 1080i, and unless you sit really close to the screen I don't think you'll notice any difference between interlaced and progressive working.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts