DLNA What can it do? Multi room AV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if the new RS5 media server with Blueray can attatch straight into the back of the new TV's and play the films in HD? Here is a link to the server http://www.ava-media.com/p/863250/rs5-media-server---black.html 

I am thinking of connecting it to one of the new Sony TV's like the w5500 or any that can connect with ease to stream from the media server.

On doing some research the only other way is using something like the Kaleidescape server changing from CAT 5e or higher into a convertor to HDMI. 

All thought or knowledge very welcome 

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Looks to me like this is just a media server with lots of hard disks. So you can rip music, films etc. to it and then connect to these via DLNA clients like the PS3 etc. Since the W5500 is DLNA enabled, this should mean it can access the music and films stored on this over your ethernet network (so you don't plug the RS5 into the back of the TV, you plug it into your network somewhere and the same with the W5500).

It would be possible to do this for cheaper I reckon, but it looks like quite a nice all in one package without the hassle of installing everything yourself.ÿ

NB - I haven't tried this, I'm just talking in theory!

A

Anonymous

gas2u:
Can anyone tell me if the new RS5 media server with Blueray can attatch straight into the back of the new TV's and play the films in HD? Here is a link to the server http://www.ava-media.com/p/863250/rs5-media-server---black.html

I am thinking of connecting it to one of the new Sony TV's like the w5500 or any that can connect with ease to stream from the media server.

Hi, this looks like an hi-end media server. You can have the same functionality by installing a software to your PC or MAC (Tversity, windows media player 11, XBMC that is multi-platform). Then you will be able to share contents over the network, and to your sony tv.
Or, you can buy an external disk that supports UPnP, there are some good enclosures, on sale at a reasonable price (search eBay for upnp or dlna). Obviously, You would be required to convert your DVDs or CDs by transcoding using a software in your PC or MAC.

Hope This help!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input, to elaborate a bit more I have run 2 cat5e cables to 6 rooms in the house that run through a 28 way switch to allow video down one and internet the other.

I can stream music and some video formats from my pc through my xbox360 but that is to just one source, so i am hoping that the RS5 can stream to all destinations in time and when the budget allows.

If someone has a DLNA tv and knows how the menu system works or the type of file it can play please let me know.

Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts