dlna+osx

plutus

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently bought an Onkyo cs-N755 and I'm trying to figure out how dlna works...

I've set up a server on my mac and I can easily stream my music directly on the onkyo or using my mobile phone.

However, it's not clear how I can stream my music directly from my osx system: I mean, I open a mp3 on itunes and the output is on the onkyo (like, I guess, with airplay). Is it possible to stream music like that?

thanks

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
There are heaps of DLNA servers for the Mac

Minimserv has a Mac version which works fine: http://minimserver.com/downloads/index.html

This is what I use for my Linn DS.

You just have to find a control point which suits, there are plenty to choose from.

I've been experimenting with J River as well, which can be set up as a DLNA server. But the Mac version is still a bit rough so not worth the money just yet IMO.

John Duncan

Yes there are. But what the OP is looking for is a means to transmit whatever audio is playing on his mac to his stereo, which requires AirPlay (or possibly Bluetooth) as no mac servers (AFAICT) have a 'virtual soundcard' option like Jamcast does.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Apologies, I misunderstood.

I had assumed that he would just stream to the Onlyo via ethernet?

+2 for the airport, or probably an apple TV if video is required.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Either of those will work, yes, and actually Apple TV is a better value solution if you have a digital in (which the Onkyo does).

Why? Just because of the video, which I don't use, or something else?

Genuine question.

John Duncan

Yes, because of the video. It does a lot more things for hardly any more money, so if you have a digital input (which is the only means of connecting an @TV, as opposed to the aux out of an Airport Express), then it's a more flexible box. Even if the OP needs no video, he may find at some time in the future that its video capabilities would come in handy (iPad mirroring blah blah).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Yes, because of the video. It does a lot more things for hardly any more money, so if you have a digital input (which is the only means of connecting an @TV, as opposed to the aux out of an Airport Express), then it's a more flexible box. Even if the OP needs no video, he may find at some time in the future that its video capabilities would come in handy (iPad mirroring blah blah).

OK, kind of what I thought. No operational advantage for music then.

Wonder if it sounds any better........ :?

John Duncan

davedotco said:

No, unless it's plugged into a TV as well, in which case you get direct iTunes library access and a quite nice interface.

davedotco said:

I might worry a little bit about that sort of thing into the SM6, but into the Onkyo I would not.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:

No, unless it's plugged into a TV as well, in which case you get direct iTunes library access and a quite nice interface.

davedotco said:

I might worry a little bit about that sort of thing into the SM6, but into the Onkyo I would not.

You should know better, there is no such thing as worrying 'a little bit', when it comes to hi-fi.

It's like being a little bit pregnant.......!

John Duncan

davedotco said:
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:

davedotco said:

You should know better, there is no such thing as worrying 'a little bit', when it comes to hi-fi.

It's like being a little bit pregnant.......!

No, if I was worried about it more than that I wouldn't use either, would I?

plutus

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I'll try kinsky...controlling via itunes it's not an essential feature and I'd prefer avoiding buying extra hardware considering that's just a software matter...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts