• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

dj mixer as pre-amp?

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
can a dj mixer be used as a pre-amp for a hifi power amp? or would a seperate pre-amp be needed?

A

Anonymous

It can, but whether it would sound good or not is a different question.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I agree with cyril. A great idea if you already have the mixer and want some extra amplification. Though I guess, if it is for vinyl, why not bypass an integrated amp? less electronics in the signal path.ÿ

A

Anonymous

A DJ mixer is basicaly nothing but a pre amp.

But I'd say it's only ones made by Urei, Allen & Heath or Pioneer that would be anything approaching half decent Hi-Fi sound quality.

Other than that though, yes, it's definatly better to just use a power amp on the end of a mixer rather than an integrated type of amp. Otherwise you'd just be plugging one pre-amp staight into another.

Just remember though; That mixers harmless looking little master volume knob suddenly becomes very capable of popping your speakers in the wrong hands of those that might not be aware!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS