DIY HT Bypass?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am about to enter the wierd and wonderful world of AV and would like to use my main 2-Channel Hifi speakers and my Bryston power amp as the front main speakers in my new AV setup. Unfortunately my Bryston BP26-DA Pre Amplifier which feeds my power amp does not have HT Bypass functionality.

I know that I can connect the pre-outs on my AV amp on to a pair of RCA or balanced inputs on my Bryston to kind of achieve this, but I am also aware that in doing this my Bryston and not my AV amp will be in charge of volume adjustments for the front mains. This is not an ideal situation as I don't always watch TV and movies at the same volume level and as a consequence I will be endlessly adjusting the volume of the two amps independently to balance the sound. I'm not happy about this for obvious reasons.

I would have thought that if I run my pre outs from my Bryston and my pre outs from my AV amp in to a switch which will allow toggling between the two, and then run a single set of pre outs on and in to my power amp then I will have created my own HT Bypass.

Sound quality issues aside can anybody see why this would not work?

Am I overcomplicating things and is there already a product commercially available that does this?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Then again you could use the channel level adjustments on your AV amp to balance the surround up with your Bryston premp's volume set to your normal music listening level, and you'd be done. Then you just adjust the level on the AV amp's main volume control for different TV and movie programming.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Then again you could use the channel level adjustments on your AV amp to balance the surround up with your Bryston premp's volume set to your normal music listening level, and you'd be done. Then you just adjust the level on the AV amp's main volume control for different TV and movie programming.

If that works then great but I have read elsewhere that my Bryston pre amp will take over the volume control of the two front channels that are fed in to it and that the AV amp will not be able to adjust the volume of those channels. Is this not the case?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
If that works then great but I have read elsewhere that my Bryston pre amp will take over the volume control of the two front channels that are fed in to it and that the AV amp will not be able to adjust the volume of those channels. Is this not the case?

No, the AV amp will adjust the output of the pre-outs by the same amount it adjusts its amplifier volume, so if you leave the Bryston at the same level all channels will go up and down by the same volume.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts