Distortion/crackling noise coming from speakers?

Soopafly49

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Listening to my mp3 player through the v.aux on the front of my 2310. decided to plug it into the L and R phono sockets on the back to see if there would be any difference and i got this horrible nois. probably something really simple. does anyone know what this could be?

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
That's an easy one if you mean phono as in record deck... the phono inputs are very very sensitive (they have a huge amount of voltage gain to work with the tiny signal from a phono cartridge) and so you have grossly overloaded the input with the much much higher level an MP3 player would give. The phono amplifier also has an RIAA frequecy response which means the sound would be very dull too.

It won't have damaged anything... just don't do it again :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you've plugged it into the input marked 'phono', that's the turntable input, which is really designed a low level output, which the phono stage (among other things) boosts the signal. If you're sending an already pretty much line level signal into that input, it'll be boosting it, which will be way too loud and it'll distort. It is possible to blow the phono stage doing this. Plug it into any of the other spare inputs and it should be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts