Distance Between Speakers

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I currently have my Hi-Fi set up in a room that I am renting, and was wondering what the minimum spacing between two should be....

My speakers are Castle Richmond's on Atacama 6 (I think) stands.....they sit in a bit of an alcove about 1 foot from each of the side walls and about 3 foot from the rear wall. the space between the speakers is probably about 3.5 to 4 foot and I have them toed in very slightly. My hi-fi sits on a stand in the middle but behind the speakers. Speakers are front ported.

Does this sound an adequate distance from walls, both side and rear? Or are they too close together......

A

Anonymous

Jason36:

I currently have my Hi-Fi set up in a room that I am renting, and was wondering what the minimum spacing between two should be....

My speakers are Castle Richmond's on Atacama 6 (I think) stands.....they sit in a bit of an alcove about 1 foot from each of the side walls and about 3 foot from the rear wall. the space between the speakers is probably about 3.5 to 4 foot and I have them toed in very slightly. My hi-fi sits on a stand in the middle but behind the speakers. Speakers are front ported.

Does this sound an adequate distance from walls, both side and rear? Or are they too close together......

Too close, try and move out to at least 6 feet but experiment with distance between, from the rear wall, side walls etc. (too close to side and possible too far away from rear at present) until you're happy within the space you have - of which you haven't said how large it is?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

It's usually best to have an equilateral triangle - (how far away you are from the speakers, should be the same distance they are together...but 4 foot is too close together...

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Definitely sounds a little close. If you have no choice in that, I would definitely NOT toe them in either. In fact try toeing them out a little.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
alcoves are a pain. for front ported speakers, yours are probably too far from the back wall, but the alcove will have a big effect on the sound if you push the speakers into it. if its possible, i would rearrange the living room so the speakers are along a wall without alcoves, about 1 foot from the back wall and 2 - 3 feet from the side walls. if you can leave 6 - 7 feet between the speakers.

A

Anonymous

When measuring from the side walls , do you measure from the outside cabinet edge closest to the wall ?ÿ

Also when measuring distance between the speakers , do you measure from tweeter to tweeter?ÿ

A

Anonymous

You have good suggestions already posted, but one needs to be in the room itself to obtain the best result.

I would put on some music which has an even range (Bass to treble) on a comfortable volume, sit down in your normal listening position.

Then I would start at a 'base point' put the speakers in the corners about 1ft off the back wall and 18" in, slightly towed in.
Then listen, and firstly start to address any boominess. Which with them being sited in the alcoves you have to find the sweet spot. Move them off the back wall only a couple of inches at a time and then in towards each other until the hole in the music in the centre of the room is filled.

Your ears are the best device for getting the sound spot on and with a little Patience you will find the ideal spot.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
trevor79:You have good suggestions already posted, but one needs to be in the room itself to obtain the best result. I would put on some music which has an even range (Bass to treble) on a comfortable volume, sit down in your normal listening position. Then I would start at a 'base point' put the speakers in the corners about 1ft off the back wall and 18" in, slightly towed in. Then listen, and firstly start to address any boominess. Which with them being sited in the alcoves you have to find the sweet spot. Move them off the back wall only a couple of inches at a time and then in towards each other until the hole in the music in the centre of the room is filled. Your ears are the best device for getting the sound spot on and with a little Patience you will find the ideal spot.

I agree with Trevor, only your ears can tell how they are best positioned. My speakers are nearly tucked into the corners but they sound great. They are only ever so slightly toe'd in, as they sound better that way - they have wide dispersion and are meant to go like that and it does work.

mattc76

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Speaker position has recently been a bit of a revelation for me. I have CM1's that were about 2m apart with me about 3 m away with toe-in such that each speaker was pretty much looking straight at me. The sound was not at all focused ie you couldn't pinpoint things in the sound stage ie it sounded like the music was coming from both speakers. Then a recent room change-round and the speakers are now 3-3.5m apart and I am still 3m away. AHA i thought, more toe-in required - and it was just as rubbish. I blamed the dac, the amp the speakers -everything. Then she-who-must-be-obeyed (of all people) came in and said "I don't like that one like that" and moved one such that the toe-in was almost abolished - and BANG as if by magic the music was slap-bang in the middle with each instrument perfectly placed in the space in between. You can point and say "the singer is there, with the kick and snare, the hihat is slightly over a bit, theres a really cool piece of percussion going on hard left, something else is going on hard right etc etc....". I have to say it is ULTRA COOL! It is honestly like the speakers aren't there and the sound is magically coming from the space in between.

So the moral of the story is: start with equilateral triangle with NO TOE-IN (even if you think the tweeters are pointing away from you), and then gradually (a few degrees at a time) move them slightly in until its suddenly right!!

Or just look at the WHF HOW-TO video!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts