Dist or resonance in upper frequencys b&w 685

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi!

Im a very happy owner of b&w 685 since a couple of months. However I noticed some distortion or resonance in the upper frequences.

This is very hearable in special songs through spotify or other sources for that matter.

Song intros when this is highly noticable in is:

Michael Jackson - Man in the mirror

Ellie Goulding - Lights

Foo Fighters - Doll

It seems to be the same frequency in these songs that causes the problem.

I have tested the speakers from each others. The Left one has the same issue as the right.

I have also had the same problem using different amp. My current amp is Marantz PM 7004.

Is this normal? It shouldnt. Something wrong with the speakers?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
From your description I'm not really sure what you are hearing. Can't say I experienced it with the MJ track when I owned 685s.

I wonder if it is due to compression, etc. when playing from spotify. What are the other sources? Are they lossless?

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
It could be that the speakers are just showing up issues with the source. If it's happening with all sources have it checked out by B&W, or one of its dealers.

A

Anonymous

I have spotify and youtube as source but I have also tried cds on my ps3 with the same issue on foo fighters dolls for example.

It just seems so strange that this has happened, to both speakers.

Can the tweeter been hurt in any way? Like from my older brighter technics class a amp 35 watts?

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
One of my tweeters went faulty on my cm1s and what i experienced sounds a lot like what your experiencing. Mine was only in one speaker though. Maybe both of yours are damaged though. Distorion at a certain frequency range using both my av amp and my 2 channel amp. It went back to B&W to be tested and they discovered a fault at 10khz. It was barely audible but i knew it was there.

I would recommend getting lossless versions of the songs your playing and test them on a different system before getting the dealer involved.

Fortunately i had spare speakers/amps/cables knocking around at home so i could do my own testing and knew it was the speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts