Display Resolutions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya All. I'm new to this Blu thing and was looking for advice on the display set-up. I have a Philips 42' LCD set which is only HD ready so i'm assumming that is 720p. My question is, on setting up the resolution on my Blu Ray (Samsung 1600 ) which would give me the best picture quality 720p or 1080i (it won't support 1080p )

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
If your Tv can accept 1080p images, it may scale them down onboard to 720p.

If not then 720p (progressive scan) is 720 lines of information on your screen.

1080i (interlaced) is actually only 540 lines but with a space inbetween each and the missing data is interpolated and inserted.

IMO therefore the better resolution would be 720p.

I am sure I will get smoked over that generalisation but it is only my understanding (limited) on how things work.

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
True Blue:
1080i (interlaced) is actually only 540 lines but with a space inbetween each and the missing data is interpolated and inserted.

Hi True Blue: I don't think the comment above is quite right. The picture is made up of 1080 lines, but these are refreshed alternately. It is therefore a High Definition picture and requires a display with 1,920x1080 pixels.

Hi Jimma: If you want to avoid downscaling, then yes, set the output to 720P. However, you may wish to set the BDP to 1080P/24 (to get the best from Blu-Ray movies) and let the TV handle the downscaling. This later option will probably be slightly better.

For an interesting discussion on 720vs 1080, this article is pretty helpful: http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

A

Anonymous

Wightknight:True Blue:

ÿ

Hi True Blue: I don't think the comment above is quite right. The picture is made up of 1080 lines, but these are refreshed alternately. It is therefore a High Definition picture and requires a display with 1,920x1080 pixels. Hi Jimma: If you want to avoid downscaling, then yes, set the output to 720P. However, you may wish to set the BDP to 1080P/24 (to get the best from Blu-Ray movies) and let the TV handle the downscaling. This later option will probably be slightly better.For an interesting discussion on 720vs 1080, this article is pretty helpful: http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/

True Blue,

That's just plain wrong. 1080i is 1080 lines. Each frame of 1080 lines is split into two fields of 540 lines which are shown sequentially. A 50Hz 1080i video signal contains all of the same information as a 50Hz 1080p one, it's just compressed into half the space. In the 1080p signal each frame is repeated twice.

A good rule of thumb is to feed your TV at its native resolution. This generally minimises the amount of video processing required overall.ÿHD Ready LCD panels are frequently 1280 x 720 (aka 720p), which is ideal. Alternatively, it's very easy for a player to interlace a 1080p source to 1080i and most HD Ready TVs do a good job of deinterlacing and downscaling that to match their native resolution.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Beaverme,

Thankyou for your correction, can I now assume the following (as I now understand it to be correct?)

1080i means that the resolution of the picture is 1920 vertical pixels
by 1080 horizontal pixels and i stands for interlaced scanning.
Interlaced scanning is based on the principle that the screen shows
every odd line at one scan of the screen and then all the even lines in
a second scan. Whereby 1080p shows all of the lines on each frame?

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all that helped on this. I think I will go with the 720p setting

A

Anonymous

Why don't you try between 720p and 1080i and decide for yourself which looks better to you?

Mine is a HD Ready TV too, and personally, I have mine set at 1080i - it produces a more vibrant image for me.

A

Anonymous

True Blue:
Beaverme,

Thankyou for your correction, can I now assume the following (as I now understand it to be correct?)

1080i means that the resolution of the picture is 1920 vertical pixelsby 1080 horizontal pixels and i stands for interlaced scanning.Interlaced scanning is based on the principle that the screen showsevery odd line at one scan of the screen and then all the even lines ina second scan.ÿ Whereby 1080p shows all of the lines on each frame?

ÿ

The horizontal resolution is 1920 and the vertical resolution is 1080. i is short for interlaced.

The term 'scan' is really a hangover from the days of CRT. With modern flatscreen technologies like LCD and plasma, there's no actual scanning involved. An interlaced signal is first deinterlaced so that the original frames are reconstructed. These frames may then be internally scaled (if required) up or down to fit the panel's native resolution. The panel then displays the reconstructed and processed frames, rather than showing each field in turn like a CRT set would typically do.

With 1080p there's no deinterlacing required, meaning less processing and fewer artifacts.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts