Discovered the best upgrade...ever.

Is it the Cd player? No. Perhaps the turntable? Nope. Could it be cables? Y-y-y...Ummm [pause]... no....

This is the first time since before the festive period that I've actually sat down and listened to the hi-fi. It's usually on at idling levels but I'm whizzing around doing things. Since October things have been manic (good reasons). Last week purchased two compilation CDs from our local Co-op and they are still in the cellophane.

Mrs. P had an early night so, to wind down, turned out the main lights and just used ambient wall lighting, put on Jazz FM on Freeview -- and it sounds fantastic.

Really believe I used the hi-fi far too often for it to be fully appreciated.

I quite agree. You may have seen me use the analogy here of dressing up for a concert akin to playing an LP versus popping on a cd which is a more mundane and less committed act! But whatever the source there no substitute for the right mood, lighting and temperature. And maybe a glass of water to go with it!!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Listening to music in low lighting/the dark always makes it sound better. Less distractions because well ovbiously you have a harder time seeing them so it allows your brain to focus more on the music.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Lights out. Always. For me, this adds massively to the illusion of the soundstage and three dimensionality of the system. With the lights on, you know the sound is coming from those two boxes, and whilst it will still exhibit those virtues, they're far more noticeable when you can't see the speakers.

On a very similar note, as well as not being able to see the speakers, you're also not able to see the room itself. Once you're able to ignore/forget about the room boundaries, you suddenly find yourself listening to a soundstage and/or ambience that is far bigger than your room dimensions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts