Direction/purchase advice for a 60/40 music/movies living room setup please!

twochordcool

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to spend $2500 on either an AV receiver OR an AV receiver AND an integrated amp with HT bypass.

I own THREE pairs of B&W DM602 S3 speakers, which means I can have FIVE identical speakers in a 5.1 home theater setup, if I choose to go that way.

I need to emphasize that I will have THREE identical speakers going across the front: left / center / right.

But what I want MOST from this setup is the best sounding 2 channel stereo I can get.

So, if I must, I am willing to "settle" more on the movie side of things than on the music listening side of things.

So my questions for you knowledgeable folks are:

1) Would I be better off spending the entire $2500 on an AV receiver such as the Rotel RSX 1520 or the Arcam AVR 400 or the Anthem MRX 700 or an equivalent NAD receiver?

OR

2) Am I better off buying a pretty darn good integrated amp with HT bypass with 3/5 of my budget and a satisfactory AV receiver with the remaining 2/5 of my budget? Finally, 3) What pros and cons can I expect from each option? Thanks a lot - I look forward to reading the expert replies!

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
What is your music source?

Some of the new AV amps have lots of functionality to act as streamers which would make them good value for money.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Think they've all gone beddibo's :shhh:

For what it's worth though I'd go for a single box av receiver.

I bought a Panasonic bdt230 last week as it's flac compatible, although it doesn't seem to work through dnla to my nas, I did put some flac tunes on a USB stick, plugged it into the bluray and played back through a denon 889 thru some aging mission 751's, must say I was impressed, very clear and precise.

So, if you're going to be spending 2 'n half k on 1 box, that'd be my choice, just make sure it's flac compatible if that's the way you listen to music?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Twochordcool, how big is your living room? How important are looks and having small speakers? Is this more important than getting the very best sound quality for your money with the prospect of larger, less fashionable looking speakers? In other words, is your top priority really getting the BEST sound quality for your money, or is it a case of the best sound quality after certain provisos have been met? Would you be happy to buy 2nd hand? Could you place some power amps outside your living room and run speaker cables from there to your speakers? Are you based in the USA or somewhere else in the world?

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I was in your position and went for a Yamaha receiver as they are known to be one of the better ones for 2 channel. I was never happy with it though preferring the sound of my old arcam a75 integrated so I added this into the system using av bypass. I have since upgraded to an a38/cd37 combo and am very happy with 2 channel while 5.1 is handled very well by the rest of the kit.

My advice would be to get an integrated with av bypass/unity gain and a receiver with pre outs if your priority is 2 channel. Plenty of other people are happy with 2 channel using an av receiver though so it really depends on how YOU like your music to sound.

twochordcool

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
*I* like my music to sound detailed, three dimensional, with a deep soundstage and with obvious separation between instruments and vocals - not just one big blurred sonic attack.

I realize that may be asking a lot for my budget, but I want as much of that as I can get!

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
My advice remains the same. IMO you would be better with an integrated to allow for a stand alone system for 2 channel. Other people will disagree so you will not get a definitive answer on here. Only by listening to an av receiver will you know if its good enough in 2 channel for your expectation and the same goes for an integrated. Unfortunately in terms of giving advice hifi is purely subjective much the same as taste in music so you will only ever get individual opinions and not a definitive answer.

A

Anonymous

Ben K. said:
My advice remains the same. IMO you would be better with an integrated to allow for a stand alone system for 2 channel. Other people will disagree so you will not get a definitive answer on here. Only by listening to an av receiver will you know if its good enough in 2 channel for your expectation and the same goes for an integrated. Unfortunately in terms of giving advice hifi is purely subjective much the same as taste in music so you will only ever get individual opinions and not a definitive answer.

+1 that's what I've done and loving it mmmmmm burgers

TRENDING THREADS