Digitizing Records

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I never thought I would be asking this (and am slightly concerned that it is heretical even to be thinking this way), but here goes ....

Having finally dragged myself out of the 1970s (I am very pleased with my new pocket calculator), and given the availability of devices (such as the Linn DS range) that can stream 24 bit / 96 or 192kHz data, I would like to start digitizing (is that a real word?) my record collection.  For playback, I will be feeding the signal back through my CD player (which has digital inputs and can be used as a DAC for external digital sources).

Three questions:

1.  What is regarded as a reasonable word length and sampling rate for making reasonable quality copies of records?  (I am thinking that 24 bit / 96kHz FLAC files would be a good starting point, but have no idea if that is correct.)

2.  What soundcards are recommended for this purpose?  (NB. I will be using a dual quad-core Mac Pro, not a PC, together with my LP12.)  Is USB or Firewire connection a sensible option, or is an internally fitted card better?

3.  Recommended software? 

I'd be most grateful for any advice (or pointers to product information I could take a look at).

Thanks!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi, my advice (as always) is that if you can pick up a CD copy of the album you want to digitise, the chances are that it will be better in sound quality than going from vinyl to digital.

However, 24/96 FLAC is more than enough for the sampling rate - TBH, even if you are using a top end LP12/Ekos etc, I would say 16/44.1 or 16/48 would be fine.

As for the soundcard and software, I'm afraid that as mainly a PC user, I'm a little lost, but am sure that someone will chip in...

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I recently bought an Edirol UA-5 Audio Interface that uses USB for ripping vinyl on eBay:

edirol_ua5_front.jpg

Apple is fully supported and thre are OS X drivers for all similar Edirol units. As far as software goes I use Acoustica from Acon Digital Media. Sorry I know nothing of Macs so can't help you with software for it. Again I've no idea if ASIO is supported by OS X.

With regard to sampling rate I use 24bit / 96kHz. Some noise cleanup (de-clicking) software works better if it has a more accurate transient to work with. If you want to transfer to CD then use 44.1kHz to avoid resampling.

As far as file formats - it really depends on your needs. WAV is preferred as there is less processing required at playback time, but it's severely limited when it comes to tagging and uses a lot of disc space (not such a big deal these days). You can always tag files using a folder/filename structure. Otherwise convert to FLAC as its well supported by players.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS