Digital tuner and sound connection to receivers

mk666

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
I am planning to buy an LCD screen and home-cinema receiver.

I understand that connecting a HDMI cable from a receiver into the screen will forward all video signals, with video switching etc.

But what about sound from the digital FreeView tuner that is built into the TV ?
Do I need to run another cable into my receiver ? Is that going to be a RCA connection ?

Any help appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Depending on the TV, either an optical or electrical digital connection back to the receiver, or in the worst case a stereo analogue connection from TV audio out to a line-in on the receiver.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a similar query but this involves the video signal passing through my AV Receiver. Is there any point? What does it achieve?

Background - I have just ordered a new KDL-40W2000 LCD TV and RDR-HXD970 DVD Recorder to replace my old Toshiba DVD player and Sony KV-28FX60 CRT, and I have been considering what new cables I need to get. During my research it has dawned on my that I may have been doing it wrong for the last 5 years!!! When I looked at my old amp's manual I noticed it had Composite In's and Out's (Whilst typing I have also realized that Composite are now considered relatively low quality). Despite this, my current setup has existed quite happily feeding video signal straight from DVD to TV via SCART, and audio going to the AV Receiver (Marantz SR 5200) via Digital Co-ax for surround sound processing. When my AV Receiver is off, bog standard sound is conveyed directly to the TV via the SCART lead.

With my new kit I intend to pass video straight to the LCD TV via HDMI and use the TV speakers for normal daily viewing. On those "special" movie nights, the surround sound audio signal will go to the Amp via my old Digital Co-ax cable.

Am I missing something or will this cable setup give me the best sound/video signals possible with my new/existing kit?

Would really appreciate your advice/guidance.

Many thx.

A

Anonymous

Mate you're doing it right already. It ain't broke and it cannot be made better. If you needed confirmation you just got it!

A

Anonymous

Thx Will. Much appreciated. Makes me wonder why they put them on the AV Receiver in the first place. Fair enough if its for upscaling or something that the DVD player can't do, but on my old Marantz what was the point?

mk666

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
I guess that with only one other source connected (i.e. DVD player), video switching via receiver does not make much sense, does it ?

I.e. TV should detect that there is a signal coming from the HDMI cable connected from the DVD player.
If it isn't, it should display built-in FreeView instead.

Or am I missing something ?

TRENDING THREADS