digital audio source

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

i know this is a rare question for the hifi section, but anywho

what is the best way to storage digital content, mp3, flac,..

ik have a external hard drive, but i still have to connect it to my laptop witch makes a lot of fan noise, and that is verry annoying and distues my music quality.

i mostly play through my laptop, but is there a another way? put all my music on cd is to hard and not efficient, what do you suggest? silence is very important

ty

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
alializadeh said:
hi

i know this is a rare question for the hifi section, but anywho

ik have a external hard drive, but i still have to connect it to my laptop witch makes a lot of fan noise, and that is verry annoying and distues my music quality.

i mostly play through my laptop, but is there a another way? put all my music on cd is to hard and not efficient, what do you suggest? silence is very important

ty

you've got the repeat button pressed... ;)

:cheers:

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
alializadeh said:

Do you play your music through your laptop speakers or something else?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
alializadeh said:

Three suggestions:

1. get a laptop without a fan, i.e. a very low power machine using an SSD. I use a Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon: totally silent except for the clicking of the keys. Or if you're an Apple user, a MacBook Air.

2. if you want good quality sound, rip your music in a lossless format, e.g. FLAC, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, but not MP3, AAC etc.

3. if you don't already have one, buy a USB DAC. See the July edition of WHF for reviews.

Matt

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

i have plans for my future dac purchase, it's gonna be hrt musicstreamer pro or tentalabs dac

for the files: i allreay have a large collection of flac files, so the only question remains: with what can i play it ? laptop is too loud.

you suggested a ultrabook: allready thought of it, not a bad idea, but a large investement: where i have a perfectly working workstation .

so is there a another way? except the ultrabook?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

i have plans for my future dac purchase, it's gonna be hrt musicstreamer pro or tentalabs dac

for the files: i allreay have a large collection of flac files, so the only question remains: with what can i play it ? laptop is too loud.

you suggested a ultrabook: allready thought of it, not a bad idea, but a large investement: where i have a perfectly working workstation .

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You can get a NAS and put it in another room, and connect it to a WIFI provided by your net service, in that case you can stream the content in the NAS through all the house!

And control the NAS with your PC or ithing or android pad or phone...

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BTW, my NAS is in my livingroom and I can hardly ear it! It makes no noise what so ever, and I have the Synology NAS connected to my Rega dac through a USB cable!

All my 1.1TB of FLAC files are stored there !

And I controle the NAS with the DS Audio app in my ipad!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
alializadeh said:

Maybe you could replace the HDD in your laptop with an SSD. Less expensive than buying an ultrabook, but the same result.

Or maybe replace your laptop's fan with a new, quieter one?

Matt

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

my laptop is a i7, 6GB machine, and i have replaced the hdd with a ssd, a year ago, the speed was significant improved, but the noise and heat gets worse every day, desk is almost burning :p

is a NAS expensive? and i have a windows phone, lumia 900, compatible?

alializadeh said:
hi

my laptop is a i7, 6GB machine, and i have replaced the hdd with a ssd, a year ago, the speed was significant improved, but the noise and heat gets worse every day, desk is almost burning :p

If its getting that hot and the fan is on all the time I suggest you get it looked at. Something wrong with it. Possibly even just plugged up with dust. It shouldn't be under that much load just playing a music file.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
alializadeh said:
hi

A NAS can be very cheap. Have a look on Amazon. Synology is a good brand for music storage.

If your laptop is overheating, then either the fan isn't working properly or the laptop is full of dust or you have a software problem, which might mean wiping the OS and starting from scratch.

Matt

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
alializadeh said:
hi

I got mine for 275€ + 1 HD of 3TB for 120€ all for 390€

the second HD I got a few months later.

And with a NAS you have almout unlimited resourses for music, video, photos, stream them through the net and ear your tunes wherever you go!

It's your personal cloud...

And you can check out in the window store if they have synology apps to download, they are free!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Alears said:
alializadeh said:
hi

If its getting that hot and the fan is on all the time I suggest you get it looked at. Something wrong with it. Possibly even just plugged up with dust. It shouldn't be under that much load just playing a music file.

My old laptop was working in that same way, I just put the vacuum cleaner in the fan openings, and got lot better, I do it every month now! No fan overload!

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, so i need a dac?

but is there any media player? compact as possible that has a usb out? where i can connect my usb dac on it? and so get to my amp?

here is a scheme: media player - dac- amp- speakers (where i can control the media player through my tv or phone or external display?

it's a thought

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
alializadeh said:
ok, so i need a dac?

but is there any media player? compact as possible that has a usb out? where i can connect my usb dac on it? and so get to my amp?

here is a scheme: media player - dac- amp- speakers (where i can control the media player through my tv or phone or external display?

it's a thought

Yes, that would work. The Synology Diskstation DS212j has built-in music server software, so you wouldn't need to buy a separate music streamer.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BTW, my NAS is in my livingroom and I can hardly ear it! It makes no noise what so ever, and I have the Synology NAS connected to my Rega dac through a USB cable!

All my 1.1TB of FLAC files are stored there !

And I controle the NAS with the DS Audio app in my ipad!

What you don't uderstand in this post...?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
i don't understand how you sream your music from the nas to your dac? is there a interface where you can select the audio output? it's a bit confusing

sorry

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok!

Like matt49 said, the Synology NAS work as a streamer, you have to select in the NAS to output the sound through the USB, then you connect a USB cable from the NAS into the external DAC, in my case Rega DAC, and the streamer server in the NAS is controled through DS app instaled in your phone.

here is a photo of the APP interface.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, thanks a lot for the picturen it clairifies it a lot.

now, i'c seen that there is only 1 ethernet connection, is it possible to connect it wirelessly? via a wifi adapter?

thanks a lot everybody

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
alializadeh said:
ok, thanks a lot for the picturen it clairifies it a lot.

now, i'c seen that there is only 1 ethernet connection, is it possible to connect it wirelessly? via a wifi adapter?

thanks a lot everybody

ok! To clarify a bit more...

You can connect a NAS to your WIFI net work through a ethernet cable or in more expensive NAS they have wireless possibility to connect to your WIFI net work! but that way you've to use an external streamer, that will receave the music stored in the NAS through the ethernet cable, or wireless.

If you use the USB output you will use the NAS streamer, like explaned abouve!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts