Different types of amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly I say that my knowledge of individual components especially all the
different types of Amplification.

When looking at amplifiers I have choice of
integrated with a power amp or would I go power amp and pre amp?

Just more confused what way I should go and
why.

Can anyone let me know in simple terms or know of
any links on the internet I can read up on. Thanks in advance for your help.

SteveR750

Hi Fi amps are usually seperated into two discrete stages: a pre-amp which boosts the different source signals to the same level, whilst also applying any equalisation etc (tone controls). The power amp simply takes the pre-amp output and increases the voltgage (or gain) to drive the loudspeaker. An integrated amp has both sections in one box, separate pre and power amp are self explanatory. More expensive gear is usually seperated, te advantages being that you keep the hot noisy part (power amp) away from the delicate low signal level hence susceptible to interference stages in the pre-amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Steve for the information, this has helped.

One question to anyone is if my speaker rating is 50 - 150W into 8 ohms and the Cyrus 8 XPD amp has a rating

of 2 x 70W power amp. does this mean that it i am nearly at the limit of the speakers? or just not understanding?

A

Anonymous

didge001:
Thanks Steve for the information, this has helped.

One question to anyone is if my speaker rating is 50 - 150W into 8 ohms and the Cyrus 8 XPD amp has a rating

of 2 x 70W power amp. does this mean that it i am nearly at the limit of the speakers? or just not understanding?

its 2 x 70 as its 70w on each channel, so you're actually at the low end of the scale they can hendle.

A

Anonymous

Didge001 - What Hifi created an 'Ultimate Guide To Hifi' Magazine that explains this all.

It talks in depth about the integrated amplifier (pre & power in one box).

It also mentions the advantages and explains how Pre & Power amplification works.

Not to mention it has excellent reviews of some mid too high end systems of these types. Not to mention reviews on mid to high end speakers, accessories and all sorts.

That magazine sounds perfect for your needs. WHSmith are the most likliest to still stock the magazine - Enjoy

A

Anonymous

Thanks fast eddie and Vinny. I have ordered that magazine to brush up my limited knowledge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts