Difference between Rotel RA 06 and RA 06SE

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
i just found out that thare are 2 types of RA 06. The standard RA 06 (which I have) and the SE version.

Anyone know the difference between the two? Mine is very good for rock musick but is unbearable with jazz and slow music especially those with female vocalist.

matthewpiano

I'm surprised you have problems with jazz and female vocals on the Rotel. I've found their amps to be pretty flexible across genres and recordings. I wonder whether your QED speaker cable might not be helping matters.

Rotel amps don't change that much from one generation to another. Basically they don't need to as the basic Rotel design is a good one. The SE upgrades across the range were subtle to say the least. I certainly wouldn't go to any lengths to change from 06 to 06SE.

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
hhmmm.......

thanks for the suggestion. Will try to switch to thick copper cable then.

Previously I used NAD C320BEE + MA Bronze 2 with the same cable. Sweet, lovely sound, reasonable amount of bass........love the songs from Bocelli, Sade but for rock music, i find it lacking......thus the change of amp and speaker. And the result, in my opinion, exactly the other way around.

want the best of both worlds. Still trying.......

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
newtohifijkt said:
Will try to switch to thick copper cable then.

It won't make any difference if you try copper cable ;)

I would try a Marantz PM6004 or PM6005. You already have a CD6004 so it will work together very well.

If you need more power............see if you can get a Pearl Lite amp.......it's not that expensive anymore ;)

matthewpiano

He already has a better amp than the Marantz 6004/6005. ;)

Those speakers do deserve even better though. If the budget can stretch to something from Exposure or Creek then I'd get listening. Otherwise a speaker cable change could give you a cost effective tweak. Worth trying anyway.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
He already has a better amp than the Marantz 6004/6005. ;)

Not better, just different. He doesn't like the Rotel sound with jazz so he should try something different I quess.

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I am researching actually. Any suggestion on amp? Budget would be around GBP 1000.

integrated or pre/power is welcome.

I can get audiolab 8200 pre power combo for around GBP 900. or probably Rotel pre power (older version) for GBP 1,000. Are they suitable for my PMC?

for integrted, probably Roksan K2, NAD C355, Rotel RA1520.

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
i forgot the brand of the interconnect. Probably Daiyo Japan. Thick interconnect with OFC. Should I try something else? Any recommendation?

matthewpiano

newtohifijkt said:
I am researching actually. Any suggestion on amp? Budget would be around GBP 1000.

integrated or pre/power is welcome.

I can get audiolab 8200 pre power combo for around GBP 900. or probably Rotel pre power (older version) for GBP 1,000. Are they suitable for my PMC?

for integrted, probably Roksan K2, NAD C355, Rotel RA1520.

I'm going to recommend that you find a really good dealer. Not a big chain, but a smaller independent. Tell them what you currently have and give them as much info as possible about what you like and don't like about it. Then entrust them with recommending a change to your system that will give you what you want. Audition their recommendation and take it from there. It worked for me after years of box swapping.

Beyond this I would be looking at amps from Exposure, Creek and Sugden (the Mystro should just be available in budget). If you bring 2nd hand into the equation then there are the more expensive models from these brands (including the beautiful Creek Destiny 2) as well as the Arcam A38 - an amp that pairs very well with PMC.

newtohifijkt said:
Mine is very good for rock musick but is unbearable with jazz and slow music especially those with female vocalist.

Hi newtohifijkt

Change the amp. Look out for a Rotel RA-1062.

Fwiw, we had a client visit us not long ago who is using a RA-10 and 685's. I mentioned the benefits of using an RA-1062 to him. He subsequently listened to an even older Rotel amplifier the RA-1060 (which the RA-1062 is based on). The RA-1060 outperformed the RA-10 (not surprising). He is now on the look out for the even higher performing RA-1062.

The RA-1062 is the finest and the most balanced sounding amplifier which Rotel have produced since 2003
smiley-smile.gif

Btw, for new amplification also consider Naim's Nait 5si.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks matthew.

will try to look at Creek or Exposure. Though preferably still something from Rotel as I live in Far East and would need to tow my PMC if I want to test various brands. I will check what my dealer (from whom I bought PMC) has.

in the mean time i will try to experiment with the speaker cable and interconnect

cheers

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick,

thanks for the advise. Will try to look for RA 1062 although I doubt I can get it here as it is an older model. But who knows.....will also try to look for 2nd hand.

What do you think about the following model?

- RA 1070

- RA 1520

- RA 1570

thanks in advance.....

matthewpiano

You won't get any disagreement from me about sticking with Rotel. Personally I think they are a superb manufacturer. I still have an old RCD965BX CD player which can give my Roksan a very good run for the money. Will never part with it.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The RA-06SE (and the rest of the SE range) had improvements trickled down from the 15 series. The major differences were the decoupling of the power supply, updated phono stage, and higher quality capacitors used in the buffer stages. Other components will have been updated as well.

newtohifijkt

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi PP,

i found my RA 06 lacks the warm and smooth sound of my NAD.

anyway, I think thats the problem with entry level gear. So it is a matter of choice, i guess.

newtohifijkt said:
Hi PP,

i found my RA 06 lacks the warm and smooth sound of my NAD.

anyway, I think thats the problem with entry level gear. So it is a matter of choice, i guess.

Logic tells me that maybe you should explore another Nad amp as that ticked most boxes. Failing that, assuming you want to keep the Rotel, why not add a power amp? I've heard the previous model (RA-03 I think) bi-amped and, to my ears, sounded a different animal compared to just the amp alone.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I think your problem lies with your source - the Marantz 6004 is budget. So may get exposed through revealing speakers.

I had a RA-1520 & would discribe it exactly has you do, I thought it was an assertive listen that lacked timbre, good with up tempo music lacking with more ambient/nuanced slower tracks. same issue with vocals as you discribed.

but my speakers would probably be considered 'bright' and did not suit the amp.

but consider 'upgrading' your cdp upto the next price bracket - I rate QED cables which imo are pretty transparent and clean sounding.

newtohifijkt said:
Hi Rick,

thanks for the advise. Will try to look for RA 1062 although I doubt I can get it here as it is an older model. But who knows.....will also try to look for 2nd hand.

What do you think about the following model?

- RA 1070

- RA 1520

- RA 1570

thanks in advance.....

Hi newtohhifijkt

Your welcome.

RA-1520 (a follow on from the RA-1062) - if it ain't broke don't fix it

RA-1570 - i am struggling to make sense of its performance

From that trio i would pick the RA-1070 as it's an amplifier which has big power and with its full bodied, smooth and dynamic sound is an amp which can be listened to for hours (regardless of the music) without fatigue

Having said this if you want to stay with Rotel amplifcation then i would still encourage to you look out for a RA-1062 on the used market for the reasons i mentioned in my previous post.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts