Difference between Pioneer LX57 and LX87?

Sliced Bread

I'm looking at buying either a Ymaha 3030 or Pioneer LX87 to go with my CM8,CMC & CM1 speaker package.

Normally I would probably go for the Yamaha as I like my sound just on the warmer side of Neutral, but the discount at the dealer is tempting me to give the Pioneer a chance in a demo.

The dealer has my speaker package but does not have the LX87 available for a demo but does have the LX57. Does anyone with any experience of these two know if the sonic signature is the same or close or is one brighter than the other?

Thanks in advance for any help

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
The sonic signature should be very similar between the two, the main difference will be power output and some additional features on the 87 (which is THX 2 certified and air studios tuned).

Sliced Bread

Yes agree that the 87 would be the way to go if I go pioneer, though I'm wondering if a demo of the lx 57 would be sufficient to give me an indication of the lx87.

ta

Some reviews have called the lx57 bright(ish) however on the lx87 I've seen reviews ranging from bit bright to saying it's very warm, which I find confusing.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
Yes agree that the 87 would be the way to go if I go pioneer, though I'm wondering if a demo of the lx 57 would be sufficient to give me an indication of the lx87.

ta

Some reviews have called the lx57 bright(ish) however on the lx87 I've seen reviews ranging from bit bright to saying it's very warm, which I find confusing.

The Pioneer SC-LX87's very much on my radar. My understanding of former Pioneer receivers (including my own) is that they need careful partnering to prevent straying into harshness. I can appreciate that as my own Pioneer/Monitor Audio partnering is on the slightly forward side, but you reap the dynamics and pin-sharp steering that goes with it.

According to WHF's recent review of the '87, I think the point they were trying to make was that the '87 was warmER than the previous generations of Pioneer receivers and therefore might not be quite so fussy about speaker partnering. However it's all relative. The Pioneer would still probably still be more explicit than the Yamaha 3030 which is known for a more fullsome sound.

Please do let us know how you get on with any demo. Your observations would be of interest.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Remember Pioneer receivers dont have very comprehensive bass management.

I would suggest an antimode or similar - depending on your skills with REW.

Dont rely on the Pioneer - your better off turning off the settings such an standing wave that eq bass very poorly and doing it elsewhere. Unless they have drastically improved it since the 83 which I very much doubt

This does not make it bad receiver - thats just not its strong point!!

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Remember Pioneer receivers dont have very comprehensive bass management.

I would suggest an antimode or similar - depending on your skills with REW.

Dont rely on the Pioneer - your better off turning off the settings such an standing wave that eq bass very poorly and doing it elsewhere. Unless they have drastically improved it since the 83 which I very much doubt

This does not make it bad receiver - thats just not its strong point!!

Good shout, I installed an anti-mode sub EQ about a month ago and it's made a clear (and very positive) difference to the bass on my set-up. A pretty cheap and very worthwhile upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS