DIB or anyone, 70s Club/support bands

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB With you mentioning seeing Paladin and Sha Na Na on a previous post in the vinyl section and whilst searching through albums at a record fair the other day it got me thinking about all the really good club/support bands we had around in the early 70s.
So can anybody remember seeing or do you have any albums by the following.

Stackridge Hackensack Ace Juicy Lucy Beckett
Sam Apple Pie Peppers Machine Black Widow Sassafras Zeus
Budgie Bronco Warhorse UFO Jude
Raymond Froggatt Band Halcyon Fruup Fusion Orchestra
Glencoe Unicorn Upp and
Trapeze to name a few.

I also came across an album by Cochise the other day anyone remember them.

This may make some of you feel old, sorry.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles:
DIB With you mentioning seeing Paladin and Sha Na Na on a previous post in the vinyl section and whilst searching through albums at a record fair the other day it got me thinking about all the really good club/support bands we had around in the early 70s.
So can anybody remember seeing or do you have any albums by the following.

Stackridge Hackensack Ace Juicy Lucy Beckett
Sam Apple Pie Peppers Machine Black Widow Sassafras Zeus
Budgie Bronco Warhorse UFO Jude
Raymond Froggatt Band Halcyon Fruup Fusion Orchestra
Glencoe Unicorn Upp and
Trapeze to name a few.

I also came across an album by Cochise the other day anyone remember them.

This may make some of you feel old, sorry.

Blimey, that's a motley group of 2nd division bands!

Went to see Budgie once, and UFO too. I always liked UFO better then most of the other NWOBHM bands at the time (Saxon, Judas Priest for example).

I've got a track on an old UA/Liberty Records sampler "All Good Clean Fun" by Cochise, but they seemed pretty tame to me at the time, a bit countryfied?

I can only remember Glencoe because their bass player went on to be a main stay in the Blockheads I believe, Norman Watt-Roy. Top bass player.

The support band who turned up a lot around that period early/mid 70's for me was Stray. There again I was always going to see the Groundhogs and I think Stray backed them a lot.

Stackridge were one of John Peel's favourites at the time but I never got into them. I think they are still going in some capacity.

I went to see Elvis Costello & the Attractions in a small club in Manchester in 1977 (Rafters anyone?) just as his first single hit the charts, and the support band The Micky Jupp Band were one of the best bands I've ever seen. Blinding, Essex/Canvey Island boys, just like the Feelgoods.

Finally, went to see the Rolling Stones about 1974 at Manchester's Belle Vue and Montrose were the support band. Now that Ronnie Montrose could play guitar. Enjoyed them as much as The Stones, who were quite frankly a bit of a let down to be honest.

Oh the memories.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Only albums by Budgie and UFO I`m afraid from that list. Recognise several of the others by name though and may well have the odd track here or there on a compilation.

DIB mentioned The Groundhogs who I saw at the Astoria in 1999 supported by Blackfoot Sue and Lyadrive.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
survivor:

DIB mentioned The Groundhogs who I saw at the Astoria in 1999 supported by Blackfoot Sue and Lyadrive.

Unfortunately by 1999 the 'Hogs were way past their sell by date. However in the early 70's they were a top band.

Thank Christ For The Bomb, Split, Who Will Save The World, Hogwash, and Solid are all essential. Still my favourite band.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Well it's nice to know I spent my teenage years watching and listening to a motley collection of 2nd division bands
emotion-5.gif
some whom I've seen more than once and Trapeze at least 3 times.

Budgie were everywhere. Stray played the local club so I must have seen them.

Cochise were a forgotten name until I saw the LP although I have no idea of what they did and I never saw them. I had to google them to find some info. They are just a name from the past.

I have albums by Sassafras, Lone Star, Heavy Metal Kids and 2 by Trapeze. Medusa is a fabulous album. So they were not all bad.

Played some Vinegar Joe earlier, at least 2 of whom went on to better things.

A few other bands from the time would be

Principle Edwards Magic Theatre Roy Young Band
Skid Row Medicine Head
Edgar Broughton Band Mick Abrahams Band
Noel Redding Band Bees Make Honey and Gypsy to name a few

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lost Angeles:
Well it's nice to know I spent my teenage years watching and listening to a motley collection of 2nd division bands
emotion-5.gif

As you are probably aware I meant no offence, in fact most of my gigging highlights over the years involved lesser known bands. I'd no sooner pay £50/£75 these days to see a "name" band. What few gigs I go to now are at the Acadamy in Manchester, much better atmosphere and value.

Probably the most exciting gig I ever went to was when me and my mates went to see the recently reformed Pirates in 1977. Fantastic night of old school British R n' B, guitarist Mick Green a phenomenonal performer and he became an instant hero of mine. There were about 50 of us in the audience that night, everyone to a man dancing up and down. Next time I went to see them about 6 months later, I bet there were 500+ in the crowd. Word of mouth had spread about how good they were.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
DIB No offence taken, I rather enjoyed your motley collection description which is why I included the smiley.

I managed to see the Hogs at Loughborough Uni in the early 70s and they were a league up from the bands I mentioned, most of which I would have seen in the club in our town where we had a fairly decent act on every Friday night, including some big names before they became big.
I found some Stackridge and Paladin on Spotify and had a listen the other night, I will have a look for some others when I get the chance, there's no Trapeze on Spotfy though.
Shame we had only one other reply, I'm sure one or two others could remember a few.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
DIB:Lost Angeles:

emotion-5.gif

As you are probably aware I meant no offence, in fact most of my gigging highlights over the years involved lesser known bands. I'd no sooner pay £50/£75 these days to see a "name" band. What few gigs I go to now are at the Acadamy in Manchester, much better atmosphere and value.

Probably the most exciting gig I ever went to was when me and my mates went to see the recently reformed Pirates in 1977. Fantastic night of old school British R n' B, guitarist Mick Green a phenomenonal performer and he became an instant hero of mine. There were about 50 of us in the audience that night, everyone to a man dancing up and down. Next time I went to see them about 6 months later, I bet there were 500+ in the crowd. Word of mouth had spread about how good they were.

DIB ,

I was also into the Pirates at that time but I didn't get to see them until about 6 or 7 years ago somewhere in London .They could still cut it . I wanted to see them again before they stopped forever but didn't manage it . Now that Mick is dead another great band is gone . All we have left are the records .

Nick

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
shropshire lad:

DIB ,

I was also into the Pirates at that time but I didn't get to see them until about 6 or 7 years ago somewhere in London .They could still cut it . I wanted to see them again before they stopped forever but didn't manage it . Now that Mick is dead another great band is gone . All we have left are the records .

Nick

Nick

Check out Youtube, there used to be some pretty good footage of vintage Pirates from that period. "Shaking All Over", "You Don't Own Me", "Milk Cow Blues", "Peter Gun" , "Don't Munchen It" etc.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I saw Ace just after the release of Five a Side . Half the audience had gone cause they were so late on stage.

Amongst others on support around then - Montrose, the original Blue, Bonaroo .

I remember Whispering Bob making Stackridge's Stanley famous( I think I still have the TV recording of it from TOGWT on a Ferguson tape deck)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy:

I saw Ace just after the release of Five a Side . Half the audience had gone cause they were so late on stage.

Saw Ace when they had How Long (listening to this off Spotify whilst I type this) in the charts and they had supposedly acquired the PA System from Roxy Music.
I remember thinking how good the sound was.

TRENDING THREADS